Mortice deadlock - no key!!!

The red plate is simply a cover plate and can be pulled off to expose the lock mechanism.

One of the door handles has to come off. Typically an Allen key is needed to loosen a samll screw at the bottom of the round plate (or in the handle itself)

Sfk

No, the red is the painted lock case fore end and does not come off. The ornamental trim plate is already missing. Note the screw holes lack countersinking. Possibly someone already started trying to take it out.

P.s.
Red painted cases are used by Union and ERA. The odd bolt shape suggests a Union, possibly a 2200S or similar

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Remove lock and purchase replacement levers with key , change levers. Or replace lock complete .Or take to locksmith who can cut keys to the existing levers .

The red plate is simply a cover plate and can be pulled off to expose the lock mechanism.

One of the door handles has to come off. Typically an Allen key is needed to loosen a samll screw at the bottom of the round plate (or in the handle itself)

Sfk

Erm... isn't the red part the lock, the actual lock. I looks like someone has already removed the chrome rectangular face plate.

I agree that often, an allen key grub screw may be used, but I suspect that the OP first needs to twist the outer part (anticlockwise) of the handle base plate to expose the fixing screws. Once the screws are removed, the OP may well need an allen key to release the any allen key that is used to hold the handle to the rectangular bar that passes through the lock.

Edit- I see that @JohnD has already said the bit mentioned in the first part of my reply. My bad

Sponsored Links
It's finally out, thanks all for the advice. Had to take the door handles off and then it just slid out. It's definitely a Union, just trying to locate the same model online

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 49
It was! I found one that looked exactly the same in Screwfix but I wasn't sure about the measurements, so I took the old lock with me and did a quick comparison and it was a perfect match. The new lock was fitted earlier today, the door is all secure again :)

Thanks everyone for your help

Attachments

• 57984B81-4CD6-4FF2-A2DA-F1B742BE220A.jpeg
    57984B81-4CD6-4FF2-A2DA-F1B742BE220A.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back