mosaic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tiles are hessian backed, to be laid \\\'hessian down\\\', on a standard floorboarded base. What do I need to put on the floor first, and how do I ensure the tiles are laid square? Any tips please?[code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
I think I'd be inclined to lay PVA coated hardboard first to cover the entire area - giving an even, sealed suface for the tiles.

If the floorboards are quite level already with no appreciable gaps, and all the nails well sunken, then I suppose you could lay onto them. But maybe a coat of PVA to seal them first otherwise the tile adhesive might be taken up by the dry boards.

A builder's square - available at any good DIY/TOOL store - would be useful to determine if your room is true to begin with and even more so to mark out a true starting point to begin if it isn't.

i would agree with cobweb (almost) hardboard as floor boards will flex, so after a while your tiles will become loose, i saw mr tommy walsh laying tiles in a kitchen, he screwed down mdf ( i think) so that there would be no movement what so ever

Info: Making a square

If you want to make a bigger square remember this the 3:4:5 rule.

Say we use a 3 straight lenght of 2"x1", lay all timber down as a triangle shape and on the external point, 1 must be 3 foot,1 must be 4 foot and the last one meet up must be 5 foot.You will always get 90 degree.Doesn't matter what measurement you use (3cm,4cm,5cm or 3miles,4miles,5miles!)Very handy for laying out garden project or fitting a corner bath or footing and so on.Try experiment on a A4 paper marking 3" from one corner & 4" on the other side from the same corner and put a ruler across the 2 points ,it will 5" and that will always be 90 degree square.

I will put this on a new topic as well for others

Sponsored Links
My error...I should have stated that he'd need to fix the hardboard down. Wicks do a cheap flooring adhesive that really sticks!

But then MDF would be a better substrate.

can you use the Wicks adhesive rather than plug&screw every 12"? (Just put down a new floor over the connie screed. used 12mm Brazil Ply screwed 32(!) times per 8*4 sheet.) The Wicks option sounds easier and a lot less labour intensive - how good is it?

It's called TIKATAK Multi Purpose Adhesive...and I can't tell you how damned sticky this stuff is! It's a contact adhesive and once contact is made it's made.

I've used it for timber, panels and vinyl...and an errant ceramic tile when I had no tile adhesive left...and it's very good. No lift problems at all in just over 12 months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back