Moss killer and a 'stiff brush'2 by

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My driveway is tar mcadam and has a bad moss problem. I treated it with a 'professional' moss and algae killer a week ago and it turned pretty brown/ sick looking. Rather than trying to use a 'stiff brush', I invested in a Stihl power brush to fit onto my Stihl combi engine.
I'm surprised just how tenacious the moss is even in the face of the power brush! It is drawing furrows in the moss, but takes many, many passes to being anywhere near removed, and still bits remain.
Is it just the thickness of the moss and the (effective) soil layer under it that is causing my disappointment? Any tricks to kill it to the extent it comes away first pass? Should.I be doing this when very dry, or perhaps soaking it prior to power brush?

Sponsored Links
I use a strimmer to remove weeds. I wipe them out in a few passes. Multiple passes are needed because can't tell which bit not wiped out until sweeped clear with a broom.

I don't think a strimmer would be effective against moss, as it is a mat of very low (altitude) growth. I have resorted to removing the (killed) moss mat with a Japanese hand hoe (the most useful tool I have for the garden: get one!), although the steel blade does lift the odd stone from within the tar macadam. It is laborious, but very satisfying when you get a particularly thick area and it comes off in convincing strips.
I'll then soak and use the brush again, although the 'bristles' on the power brush are quite thick, and a finer bristle would probably be better ate getting between the rough surface of the tar macadam.

Do you have any pictures to illustrate the problem?
Most driveways are affected by moss and sometimes you can allow it to develop in the cracks without resorting to chemical warfare, by cutting back overhanging growth around the drive which creates pockets of shadow allowing the moss to thrive in the first place.
I have a fine patch of moss growing thickly in a corner which doesn't affect the rest of the drive, but keep the rest back with Round up and a stiff yard brush to sweep out the excess growth.

Sponsored Links
I don't think a strimmer would be effective against moss
Maybe you have special moss. My strimmer wipes out everything including the drive way tarmac. If you are talking about the roots then no strimmer wont work. Without the above ground foliage, the roots can't survive. Usually some other weeds will take over, killing whatever was there previously.

My driveway is tar mcadam and has a bad moss problem. I treated it with a 'professional' moss and algae killer a week ago and it turned pretty brown/ sick looking. Rather than trying to use a 'stiff brush', I invested in a Stihl power brush to fit onto my Stihl combi engine.
I'm surprised just how tenacious the moss is even in the face of the power brush! It is drawing furrows in the moss, but takes many, many passes to being anywhere near removed, and still bits remain.
Is it just the thickness of the moss and the (effective) soil layer under it that is causing my disappointment? Any tricks to kill it to the extent it comes away first pass? Should.I be doing this when very dry, or perhaps soaking it prior to power brush?
When it is alive it clings on tight.

Once you have killed it, it will dry out, rot away and turn to dust.

You are choosing effort over patience.

Maybe you have special moss. My strimmer wipes out everything including the drive way tarmac. If you are talking about the roots then no strimmer wont work. Without the above ground foliage, the roots can't survive. Usually some other weeds will take over, killing whatever was there previously.
Moss doesn't have roots.

IMG_20231005_092339.jpg

So I've posted an image of the moss, 1 week post-treatment: as you can see, it is pretty thick (but nowhere near thick enough to tackle.with a strimmer, or my very capable bushcutter).
I appreciate the comment about being impatient. I think that might be the case, although waiting for the moss to dry out and blow away might take some at this time of year in the UK.

Here's another image of the moss after being tackled with the new Stihl power broom. The bristles of the power broom are pretty sturdy, and certainly not fine enough to gouge out the soil in-between the raised little stones on the surface of the Tamacadam. You'll perhaps notice 'striations' in the moss?
But I will leave it longer and see if the moss does back further. Ultimately, I'd like to get the surface clean enough to apply a sealant. I can't imagine that would work well if there was any residual moss/ soil/ dirt.
IMG_20231005_092359.jpg

See what you can do to improve drainage and keep the area drier with sun and air.

Scrape a gutter in the soil beside it for rain to run off.

It might need another treatment, it looks like there is a bit of green still in the last picture.

Seems pointless to put down moss killer then immediately try and mechanically remove it. Do one or the other.

You might get some of that off with a long handled square edge shovel, or a floor scraper, the tarmac looks pretty smooth?

I found spreading top soil or sand to be the most efficient way to kill it off, it prevents sunlight reaching it but had to be left on for a few days . Thereafter treat with moss killer,

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back