Most efficient water heating settings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am trying to figure out if I’m currently using my hot water most efficiently. Firstly, I’ll give you a background of my circumstances etc:

I live in a 6 bedroom house which only has electricity and no gas supply to the property. We require hot water throughout the day but probably it is used more in the evenings.

We have an OSO unvented water heater on the top floor of the house in a small storage room.

Here at the specs

Within that room there’s two switches for the OSO. One is “normal” and another is “booster”. The normal is always on 24/7 while the booster is turned on when someone’s run the bath and another person is using the shower downstairs.

FYI we have two bathrooms. The one next to the water heater is a shower/bath tub and another on the ground floor which is only a shower. The reason I started looking into this was because the water pressure on the shower on the top floor is very low and I wanted to increase it. However, I after delving into it more I’ve come to this juncture :)

In the garage, near the power circuit unit, there’s two timers. One is on and the other is not powered up/off completely

The one that’s on, we have it constantly on daylight mode. Tbh we’ve no idea how to work it and we were simply advised by the landlord to keep it at that.

Finally, I’ve read on how this water heater is good for use with economy 7 meters as the bottom half can be set up to heat the water at night while rates are low. However, checking my meter it seems that I don’t have an economy 7 meter?

Based on all this information could someone please advise me what’s the most cost effective way to get the best out of my situation?

Just to add, our heating throughout the house is basically wall mount electric radiators that have to be turned on individually with the switches placed next to them on the wall. Also, the insulation in the house is very poor.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Your cutout main fuse unit is upside down which is odd, but perhaps still meets the IP rating. What isn't right is that there's a water pipe bonding clamp on the outside of the cable, presumably to provide some kind of tn-s earth from the sheath. That needs correcting by the electricity company.
Regarding the efficiency, with electric heating on a single rate it'll be expensive whatever. Try to get economy 7 fitted?

Modern unvented cylinders have good insulation and little heat loss. So even you left the immersion heater always on it will hardly cost your more electrical consumption.

It is by the amount of hot water being used by the occupants.

If you want to keep your bills down, then I'd suggest you move house. You can fit economy 7, but it the electric heaters aren't storage heaters, and just panel heaters, then you'd be paying a higher rate to heat these during the day, just to get a cheaper night rate for the hot water. Your heat and boost arrangement suggest you had economy 7 at some stage, and that you would have had storage heaters as well, but when they've changed them for panel heaters, they've taken out the economy 7 rate.

Sponsored Links
You’re a tenant in a rental yes?
Landlord doesn’t have to live there so doesn’t really give a hoot about your living costs and comfort... just has to provide you with ‘some’ means of Heat and hot water.

As @Doggit says above... better to move if you want better control and economy. Gas is always going to be cheaper than leccie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back