Motorised Valve on Heating/Hot Water

8 Dec 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Whwn I went into my Garage today, I noticed the central heating pump was running, and the boiler kicking in. I looked up, and both motorised valves were shut.

That's not right, I thought and started to investigate. To cut a long story short, the fault is with the microswitch on the hot water valve in that it is stuck on, whatever the position of the valve.

The valve is an ACL Lifestyle 679H308 30LI
What I'm wondering is this. Can I get a replacement microswitch, or do I have to buy a whole new valve. I'd much prefer not to have to break into the water side if at all possible.

Sponsored Links
You can get a microswitch as an electronic component and try to fit it yourself.

If the head is the later type where you press a black knob to easily remove the head then its usually possible to buy a replacement although they are usually as expensive or nearly so as a new valve which are available off the shelf.

That valve head does NOT "replace".
They weren't often very long lasting anyway, so you need a whole new valve.
Garage? So a bit of spill is manageable?
In that case "bung" the system in the header tank if it's open, and it's not too hard. Drain some water from a Drain Point until it becomes a trickle, close DP and undo valve. Usually less than 30 minutes including rewiring, after your first few dozen :) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links