Mould and damp in loft

Hello - Thanks for coming back to me.

The reason I put plastic crate/boxes up there was that my kids have stored old toys and books etc in them that they have grown out etc and I thought the polyprop boxes would be good for that- as they are tough, dont deteriorate and will protect whats inside from any damp?- are you saying that I should have used card or wooden boxes as they can 'breath'?

I also put a small wooden chair in the loft and that has mould on it too.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It might have contributed to the mould starting the mould spores will be blown about causing the mould to start on other surfaces why not that the mould to kill it. Then as an experiment remove the plastic boxes and see if the mould returns having treated them or simply wrap insulation around them. Ppasic water tanks usually have insulated jackets to keep the cold of the plastic and forming condesation then mould so something on those lines might help

does anybody drape wet washing around your home?

how long is the bathroom extractor fan used during and after each bath and shower?

Hi-

Washing is tumble dried (condensing dryer) or gets hung in an airing cupboard to dry.

The extractors in all upstairs bathrooms are on for 5 mins after the light is switched off I believe.

Could it be that the house is still drying out after being built last winter?

Sponsored Links
how much condensation do you get on the upstairs windows?

the moisture from wet clothes in the airing cupboard will rise up into the loft.

are there any holes in your ceilings, for example where lamps have been poked through?

otherwise, the loft ventilation just needs improving.

hi,
we get condensation on our bedroom windows and do dry washing downstairs so i understand that will not help. We also get slight mould in the corners of teh wall around teh windows.
i have however noticed a lot of white staining on the black membrane in the loft roof and some moisture which i guess is caused by condensation. this is quite a lot and mostly up 1 end of loft.
i did have some extra insulation put in all round the loft last year which may be blocking the eaves a bit so i will try and adjust this but i was also looking for a couple of other solutions to try and dry it out:
1) we have a poorly fitting loft hatch. if i get a new tighter one cut, would this help much?
2) moving all of teh stored items more into teh middle of loft- would this help?
3) we do have a velux window in the loft. would opening this slightly help the ventilation and generally dry things out?
4) would a dehumidifier help, and should it be in the loft or on the upstairs landing?

Any help is most appreciated to try and help the loft and bedroom windows!!
Thanks

Great answer JohnD - i will pick up some buckets tonight and then start saving for a washing line.

in the meantime does is anyone else able to offer me some advice? whilst i realise that the washing will not help hence why i mention it, i would just like to knoe if any of my other suggestions will help things.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back