Mould in loft, do I need to use disinfectants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Like many of us, I topped up insulation on the loft at the beginning of winter. Unfortunately I committed the cardinal sin of blocking the eves, resulting in severe condensation and mould growth before I realised it. I have cleared up the airways, install lap vents. I have also run dehumidifier for a few days, so the air now is completely dry and condensation is no longer.

However the previous mould are still there. Do I need to spray disinfectant to kill them or hopefully now the condition is right, they will die out? If the former, which kind of disinfectant could I use safely in the house?

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would spray/wipe them with neat or near neat Milton fluid

Blup

Thank you. Do they come in industrial spray canister (like what they use in hospital)? As I have a big but very low and awkward loft to do.

Garden sprayer. You will need mask, goggles, skin covering, overalls.

Add some WUL as a wetting agent.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's what I need. What do you mean by wetting agent though? Do I mix washing up liquid with the Milton fluid?

And do these moulds present any long term damage to the timber? I have been so worried :(

You dilute Milton in water (it is just dilute chlorine bleach in a smaller bottle with added salt). Moulds and fungi may repel water.

You can use a fungicide if you want. it will have a longer effective life.

Sold as "wood preserver" and intentionally poisonous and damaging to health if you swallow or breathe it.

Buy in 5 litre plastic cans online, much cheaper, and use an old kitchen cleaner spray bottle.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back