White mold in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the summer months last year i had my loft insulation topped up from 30mm to 330mm. At the beginning of this month (when putting the Christmas tree back) I noticed condensation on the felt in the loft (which i haven't seen in the loft before) so I decided to purchase a dehumidifier to stop all this condensation from entering the loft. I've now had this dehumidifier for a few days and have noticed a vast improvement in condensation in the house and in the loft. I have however noticed that the loft now has white mould on the felt. I can't imagine it has been there too long (probably a month max) and in total the condensation has been in the loft a maximum of 2 months.

My question is now how do i deal with the mould? Could this turn into dry rot or is it too early for that? I've just put the dehumidifier directly in the loft so it should now dry out pretty quickly. Should i get someone in to spray the loft or is there something i could do myself?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links

Please see an image of the white mould on the felt. I'm not too sure if it's on the actual wood as it's the felt that's wet and obviously i can't see what has happened where the wood has touched the felt. I'll try to have a proper look up there tomorrow - so far i've only looked through the hatch.

Regarding the image i've circled two parts - the bit in the centre is clearly mould but would you say the bit i've circled at the left is mould as well? It's hard to tell if it's some kind of wet dust or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back