Loft Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During last week loft has had a lot of condensation on rafters and felt. Loft has added extra insulation. Also been running new dehumidifier in hallway near loft hatch during last two weeks. Will check no insulation is blocking eaves, was also thinking of removing the added insulation. If I remove the insulation now in the cold weather do you think all the extra moisture will dry out, or would it be better to wait till it warms up. Also do you think the dehumidifier pumping out drier air near loft hatch could of contributed.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You need more ventilation in the loft, and stop any moisture air getting into it from the house.
I have this problem too!
Helped with putting in these felt flap vent things., and just bought this new bathroom extractor fan - will need to check it is venting outside properly too.
I have some eaves vents on order too, although I have a feeling that they will be too hard to install now, as I need to pull insulation our of the eaves which looks like is more than arm's length - for some reason the builder filled the soffits with insulation - why would they do that? It also looks a bit tight between top of ceiling board and eaves, so that is another problem - I might need to get some of these eaves vents too to allow insulation to the edge and air flow over.

All a bit of a headache, especially as I am supposed to be finishing the new shower room....

The ventilation in that area of loft isn't great but we never had a problem before the extra insulation was added.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've found the problem, then - the added insulation is blocking the ventilation?
Running a dehumidifier is not going to be the cause of damp in the loft, unless you're emptying the dehumidifier tank into the loft...

The reason I mentioned the dehumidifier is that it was in the hallway with exhaust of it pointing up while I was in the loft at the weekend and I was wondering if it could of pushed air into the loft which may of made situation worse although I would think the air should of been dry from dehumidifier. I was in loft for a good while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back