Condensation in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the last month I have had condensation starting to occur in my loft space. It has happened twice, on both days the weather was very cold but the sky was cloudless and the sunshine warm.

My property was built in the 1980’s and had 50mm of fibreglass insulation between the joists. The loft space has no eaves ventilation but each of the 3 gable ends has 2 large air blocks at rafter level. I have just added 200mm of Knauf space blanket insulation (wrapped in silver foil) perpendicular to the rafters leaving ample space around the air blocks.

I have no cold water tanks in the loft. The bathroom and shower room both have extractor fans that are piped via the loft to the outside but there is no sign of leakage. No leaks in the roof itself are apparent. I have dried the loft out once with a dehumidifier and it stayed dry for a couple of weeks until the day with bright sunshine. I am tempted to remove all the insulation as there has never been condensation in the loft before I installed the space blanket.

Could it be the case that the loft gets very cold as it is well insulated and when the sunshine heats the external roof the temperature difference creates the condensation even though the ventilation was sufficient before topping up the insulation? Should I add more ventilation at rafter level or ridge?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
It has happened twice,
Does that mean that it evaporated (didn't soak into the timbers) between each occasion? If so, my view is that you have sufficient ventilation to dry up the moisture. Unless you put a de-humidifier or silica gel crystals up there, the air will always have moisture in it and as the temp goes up and down, due to weather, condensation will appear and (hopefully) disappear. I would only worry if it either accumulates or doesn't dry off reasonably quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back