Mould on bedroom wall of upper extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me. I had extension built 17 yes ago, my Autistic son has mould on his wall which is a gable wall. Can anyone tell me how we treat this or can we have anything put into the wall?

Sponsored Links
Hello Wendy

I'm not over sure but I'd say its a ventilation issue

Hello Wendy

I'm not over sure but I'd say its a ventilation issue

If it's black mould definitely ventilation. Clean the mould with mould killer, then repaint walls, Before painting add VC175 to the paint, it's a mould inhibitor, it's good stuff, it works.
It's about £15 for a small bottle but that treats 10 ltrs of paint.

vc175-new.jpg

Depending on where the mould is, it could be a leak.
Something is preventing the area from drying.

Bleach will clean it temporarily.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. His wall does feel very cold. I will investigate - where can you buy the VC stuff from please?

Mould is caused by the occupants. You need to deal with the cause, else no matter how many times it is cleaned, it will return. Heating, ventilation, insulation.

How will I know about the insulation? Is there anything I can add to the brick work?

You could possibly line the wall with thin polystyrene, securely fixed with heavy duty wallpaper paste and then wallpaper over it.
My dad did this many years ago in his cold hall and it worked. Only problem is when you come to re-decorate you have to line it again.

Thank you for that, he doesn't have wallpaper only painted walls. He's never wanted any paper on the walls

Could you get somebody in to install internal wall insulation? Materials do not cost a huge amount for a single wall, and if there's no electrics on that wall it's a relatively easy job.
Will stop condensation forming completely and be a warmer and healthier room too.

Internal insulation would probably qualify for the Green Home Grant, if you or your son is in receipt of any significant support you might be eligible for £10k of works without having to make a contribution. The downside is that the process is very slow so you'd only get it this spring or summer.

If it's 17 years old I'd expect it to be a cavity wall, which you could have filled, which is much cheaper and quicker and less disruption to the room, which can be an issue for some with ASD.

BUT, even if it's a cold wall enough ventillation or a dehumidifier can keep the problem in check.

You could add the polystyrene then lining paper and then paint which would give your son a warmer room and the finish he prefers. Having treated the mould first of course.

Sponsored Links
Back