Mould on new plaster!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new kitchen installed and part of this involved getting all the walls in the kitchen plastered. Part of this new plaster was reasonably thick (probably a couple of inches. Once it had dried (after a couple of weeks) the units were installed and everything completed.

We noticed that one of the wall units had mould inside it (the wall unit in question was the only one which was on the thicker plaster, the rest were on plaster which was ~1 inch thick or so). We ripped the backing out of the wall unit and found a lot of mould growing directly behind the unit (black mould).

I think this has happened because the thicker plaster behind this unit didn't fully dry, and when the unit was installed it formed a seal which allowed mould to grow. There is no mould above or below the wall unit, only directly behind it. The wall unit on the left of this one is on thinner plaster and has no signs of mould.

What can I do about this? I was thinking of taking the wall unit off, spraying the area with mould killer and leaving it to fully dry for a few weeks?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
A conventional 14-16mm thick plaster/render base coat & skim will take 28 days to dry out, so you painted far too early, sealing in the residual moisture. A 25mm thick plaster is excessive but 50mm :eek: . Let it fully dry out before tackling the mould growth & try again but I wouldn’t like to guarantee the long term integrity of such a thick plaster base coat.

I didn't paint or plaster anything. The plasterer did it, and the wall hasn't been painted at all.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - didn't mean to be short, was rushing off to a meeting as I typed!

The plasterer (who I spoke to on the phone earlier) said at the thickest point it was between 2-3".

The joiner shouldn't have hung the wall unit so soon, but he in all fairness probably didn't realise that bit of plaster was so thick.

I'll leave the unit off (or re-hang it with the backing removed and leave the door open) until I'm sure there are no issues.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back