mould on timber retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!
we built a small retaining wall using (untreated, but solid) oak sleepers (laid horizontally) a few years ago. The timber has a plastic damp proof membrane stapled to the back. This was to protect the back of the sleepers and prevent moisture in the soil from affecting the timber.
This year we have noticed an infestation of mould and mushroom growth appearing from the gaps and grain of the timbers.
Any advice on permanent solution(s)?

Sponsored Links
The timber should have been pressure treated with preservative before using it as a retaining wall.
It hasn't helped that you have breached the 'membrane barrier' by stapling through it.

Sponsored Links
I'm having a similar problem on 'treated' sleepers I built a retaining wall on.

I noticed some white 'looks like powder' spots, now I see its spread and looks more solid, and then even a bit green

I had a stack of off-cuts as well, when I looked through them, some were completely covered in white/green mould/mold

I'm looking for a solution as well - wondering if I need to take apart the whole wall and look for infestation and clean somehow???

Thanks
J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back