Mould or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a leak fixed in the roof above the eaves in an attic room in our 1930s semi. The previous owner was quite elderly and we suspect that leak may have been there for a while.

There's an unpleasant sharp smell in the eaves that I assume is due to damp/mould.

Having a look around I found some patches of a white powdery substance as shown in the photo. These aren't in the areas that had become visibly damp as a result of the leak.

I'm worried this could be mould, but looking at it I'm not 100% so sure. It has a slightly crystalline quality so it might be something that's dissolved and precipitated out. Or it might be mould.

Can anyone familiar with these things identify it?
white_powder.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove a little and splash a few drops of water on it - if its salts then the white looking stuff will disappear but if its mould then its fibrous and wont disappear but merely remain.

Thoroughly examine the whole area - do you see any tiny plant like threads?
Is it a mushroom like smell?

Tip with water makes good sense and is obvious now you've said it - thanks.

It dissolved very easily - so looks like it's salts.

That still leaves the smell to track down. It's not a mushroom like smell. It's hard to describe. Quite a sharp smell that I associate with damp. Once you go into the eaves you stop noticing it after a minute or so, but you notice it straight away if you walk into the room and the door into the eaves has been left open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back