Bitumen, Thompson 10 year roof seal or something else to replace old fiberglass flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, DIY noob here, we've just moved house and I now have a double external garage with a flat fibreglass roof that looks like it's letting water in. It's not dripping in or leaking, but there's black patches on the boards after it rains and signs of some mould on the boards underneath. I don't want it to get worse this winter as it's going to be a few years before I can look to replace it or do anything major with it. So I'm exploring DIY options...

I've watched a few youtube videos etc and seem to have narrowed it down to either a multi coat Bitumen paint with scrim or something like Thompsons 10 year roof seal, which says it out performs Bitumen etc.

Has anyone any advice which to go with? Is there any issue with putting Bitumen over fibreglass?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Any reason you favour Acrypol over Bitument?

Any issues with using Acrypol on a fiberglass flat roof?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bitumen over fibreglass is very likely to cause the fibreglass to breakup - it will absorb heat from sunlight and cause the fibreglass to expand more than it does already. A light coloured Acropol or similar will reflect sunlight and so not expand as much or as quick.
Put a good thick coat of Acrypol on the existing roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back