Mountfield 1640H Ride on cutting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Searching all over for a possible answer and hopefully someone here may be able to point me in the right direction.
Right...Mountfield 1640H Ride on, starts no problem. Runs for a minute or so then cuts out, no sign of fuel loss just cuts out as if it has been turned off! Re start no problem, maybe 30 seconds - a minute, cuts out again does this about 3 or 4 times then runs fine. Trouble is it's been getting worse. Up to 10 times the other day, but then runs sweet as a nut!? So far fitted new magneto and plug, cleaned carb, air filter, pressure pads under seat and fitted new ignition switch. Anyone have any ideas as I'm now running out of options. Oh it does this when just driving about running or cutting.

Thanks in advance,

Stanc.

Sponsored Links
. Oh it does this when just driving about running or cutting.

The vibration, when moving/cutting may be disturbing a connection, which when warm, can disappear.

Check all electrical connections for corrosion, renew and repair.

Have you cleaned the petrol filler cap vent?

Sponsored Links
Disconnect each of the safety interlock switches in turn.....as well as the seat one, they are all over the place.
If that doesn’t work, disconnect the black wire from the magneto and the engine should keep running once started.
John
Allow me to edit......is there a shut off solenoid on the very bottom of the carb float bowl?
J.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back