Mounting projector on a board into joists

if your worried use a thin sheet of wood but put a thin steel plate on it too, maybe stainless steel would look brilliant
google the metal store they will send you a 2mm to your size , you drill the holes and of course use thin nut/bolt

big screws to go into joist to be super safe

I have to do this myself soon and I'll do this way as the stainless steel really does look good although projector is in way if its hanging close to the ceiling

Sponsored Links
Do I need to route a shallow hole in the board.

It'll be quicker with a small chisel. Or use a spade bit to make the counter-bore, but make sure you do that before enlarging the hole to the full diameter, the spike needs something to centre on.

board will not be flush with the top of the t pins

Or scrap the T nuts idea and just go with threaded inserts...

jpg

Just a single, normal hole to drill of the correct diameter all the way through the board.

If I use 18mm ply and t nuts I assume I need 20 mm bolts. Screwfix sellots of m6 ones. Are there any that are more suitable to the t nuts than others

Also last question I promise

What screws should I get for attaching board to joists. How long and or thick etc. I don't want the board to come down

Last edited:
You would need longer than thatdepending on how thick the part of the projector that the bolts go through is.

Sponsored Links
not sure what you mean?
Buy ply that is suitable for the depth of the T nuts. ( or vice versa)
when the T nuts are properly drawn in, they will be almost level with the top of the ply - as near as dam it. (2mm?)

sorry - this was to the router question.

you may need to cut the bolts down so that they are a bang on fit.
If cutting a thread, fit a nut and use that as a guide on the bit that you wish to keep.
The Nut can then be used to fix any damage to the thread when cutting

If the part of the projector that the bolt goes through is 10mm then you would want a bolt nearer 30mm.

Cheers again. The mount plate is probably a couple of mm thick. I assume I don't need the length of the t nut to go all the way through the ply

Was looking at 9mm t nuts and 18 mm ply

I wouldn’t go into plasterboard alone , defo find where the joist’s are to properly fix into those

I wouldn’t go into plasterboard alone , defo find where the joist’s are to properly fix into those

I have located the joists. Plan is to use the plywood board to span the gap and attach the plywood board with the mount already attached to the joists.

I assume 3 screws each end of board into joists will suffice. I will be sitting under projector so don't want the thing coming off ceiling

Are there are any specific wood screws I should be using. Looking online there seems to be loads of various types.

Great!

I’d use bigger standard wood screws about 2” long-esh , the thicker ones too

Do a pilot hole but not to big of a drill bit , then put some muscle into driving in each screw so you have total peace of mind that each one could hold the weight of a man ( this method will only need 1 screw each corner & will be very strong )

You’ll defo be thinking each screw could hold the weight of a few men easy as your sweating tightening each one up !
( or should be )

My projector was expensive + it’s pretty big & heavy , when extension built this is what I’ll do

screws look good, when you screw make sure your getting a good tight firm fix,
I would have gone for the thicker ones to be extra safe, but as long as all tight when your screwing in it should be solid
change to thicker screws (the ones I have in mind are those wood yellow-ish/copper looking ones) if you don't feel confident that
they are not super tight, do small pilot hole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back