Move Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have a ground floor flat in a Victorian conversion. Currently the meters for the two flats in the house are inside my flat at a very icovenient location (see the floor plan). The set up of meters is not very clear. (see picture for the setup of the meters).

I would like to move the underground cable and the meters to the entrance hall of the house with minimum disruption.

What is the best way of describing the setup of the meters and the underground cable to UK Power Networks and the extent of the project.

Could you give me an idea of the likely costs.

Sponsored Links
That picture is rubbish, too small to see anything.

If you asked the network and meter supplier I'd guess they woul end up wanting a outside reading point via a big plastic box.

So you have a rerooted (likely new join outside on the front) supply to the new external box and 3 metres.

As a stab in the dark I'd go with £2k with you being charged for the box.

You will then have to arrange for a spark to fit 3 fused switches and take 3 supply cables from those to the fuse board in each flat. As a stab in the dark £500 per cable and switch fuse.

Each flat should be health checked prior to putting the new feeds on so there's 3x EICR's at £150 each.

Then there's any communal lighting, smokes, alarms, door entry stuff that may also need rerooting.

I'd expect £4k and not be shocked if it was more rather than less.

this picture has been posted before?

pretty sure i've seen it from a different user in the past

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your helpful replies particualrly for the likely costs and the breakdown of what is involved. You have indeed seen the photo of the meter before, a mate tried to help me find the information. Now I have registered myself. Hurray!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back