Move meter from internal garage to outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my electricity meter is currently inside my garage and the cable to the meter comes vertically out of the floor to the meter. It must be buried in the garage floor and runs outside somewhere to the road

I'm converting the garage to internal accommodation and knocking through the garage wall, so I need to relocate the meter to outside of the garage.

I've looked into moving the meter and I may need 3 things:

1. UK Power Network to disconnect the existing meter, isolate the existing cable and dig a trench from the road to the outside of my house and run a new cable where the new meter will be located. Cost c£1,000

2. My Supplier (NPOWER) to reconnect the cable to the meter. Cost £free

3. An electrician to connect the Consumer Box to the Meter. Cost £200-300

The question I have is this .... because my existing cable appears in the garage through the floor and because I plan to raise the floor in the garage using timbers, can NPOWER:

a) cut the cable low down before it enters the meter
b) junction box the cable so it's below floor height
c) run a cable to a new meter outside?

All help appreciated

Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
The question I have is this .... because my existing cable appears in the garage through the floor and because I plan to raise the floor in the garage using timbers, can NPOWER:

a) cut the cable low down before it enters the meter
b) junction box the cable so it's below floor height
c) run a cable to a new meter outside?

Only UK power Networks or their authorised contractors can work on that cable.
a) There is no approved jointing method to work on a live vertical cable
b) DNO's do not use junction boxes, only resin filled joints that cannot be fitted vertically neither would they fit a joint internally to a property
c) see a & b
However they will not need to excavate back to the road just from wherever the cable goes under your foundations

Any excavation/reinstatement work on your property you can do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back