Move Meter - ideas needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an electricity meter currently sited in the garage (against the outside wall). It has 3 phase coming in though the floor which then goes into an electronic meter and then into an analogue meter before going into a black box and then on to the CU. Quite a route.
The meters are sited about 1.2m above the garage floor.
We are having the garage converted to a dining room and thought it would be good to get the meter moved to the outside wall. In my mind I just thought they could drill a hole though the wall for the existing cable to go though at it's 1.2m long.

I contacted EDF and they said it would be £1,080 +vat !!!!
For that I get a hole dug by them at the point where they splice on a new bit of cable onto the existing underground cable. And connection to a new outside box. Wooo.
I have to dig the trench, fit the outside box and pay an electrician to connect the tails to the CU.

I know everyone says these power companies like to rip you off but that's just taking the p1$$. I tried talking to them and they just trotted out the usual crap about health and safety etc. Basically that's the price take it or leave it.
What other (legal) options do I have apart from boxing in the meters in the new dining room.
It will look naff and SWMBO won't like it.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
You have no other option.

That price sounds about right. I'd be happy with the price, to be honest.

Remember the guys work live. This is why they charge through the nose.

Do you actually need 3 phase? Is the quote for a new single phase supply?

Cheers Steve

£1000 a reasonable quote ? Wow. I'm in the wrong business

No I don't neeed 3 phase. The quote was for single.

Sponsored Links
Not nessecarily reasonable, but about the right price for this work.

A days work for 2 blokes working live, plus parts - meter, cutout, board, plus box if they are supplying, and concentric cable. Plus the price for the hole digging (probably in the pavement, so enhanced H&S provision) and filling in, and making good the tarmac. Capping off the old supply, and tapping off for the new supply, with an underground junction hot-poured joint.

And dont forget the DNO wont be doing this themselves, it'll be subbed out to another contractor. Both will take a cut of the profit.

It all adds up ;)

Cost is worth it for 2 blokes working live for a big utility company.

How much of the £1000 do you think they will make in this country.

|Max 150 quid each with 500 going to the office staff and the rest the owners in profit).

I'ms sure if you offered the 2 bloke 200 quid each to do it as a favour they would snatch your hand off. Not that they will mind!

The only other possible option is the never used one where allegedly you can find a contractor which is approved to work on the EDF network (or other DNO for other areas), and pay them directly to do the work.

However as this will inevitably be the same company that EDF will subcontract the job to anyway, the savings will be zero - assuming that the contractor would be even interested in dealing with you for such a small and insignificant job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back