Moving the meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a half integral garage and want to convert the integral part into a utility/cloakroom so it properly becomes part of the house. The meter and fuse box are currently together at the back of the garage so I assume one basic requirement is that the meter is moved to the front. The fuse box will also be replaced during the works but we don't want to change the position.

Before going off with grand plans and quotes I should like to go through a few assumptions in case it upsets any ideas.

~ Is it allowed to have a CU (boxed in) in a utility room with water, roughly 2m horizontal separation?
~ We want to cut a doorway under the current fuse box so that the new CU sits between the top of the door and ceiling. A 30cm gap is theoretically sufficient. Is this allowed/possible?
~ When the meter is moved, who is responsible for reconnecting the meter and fuse box/CU?
~ The separation between meter and CU will be the length of the existing garage. Would the CU and meter be directly connected or would space be needed for an intermediate fuse board or connection point?
~ As part of the final works, new circuits will be added. Would it be acceptable to move the meter, keep the existing fuse box and upgrade to CU later? Or would a CU be required immediately, for adding circuits later? I ask because it is not a completely straightforward switchover and it might be more practical to do all circuit additions/changes together.

Any other things I might need to consider?

Sponsored Links
Hi, what you wish to acheive is perfectly possible, at a cost ! I would contact your DNO and ask for a quote to relocate your supply and meter before you proceed with the building works. Your CU can remain where it is, you would have to provide and install the cable from the CU to the new meter location and an isolator at that position as there is a restriction on the length of unprotected cabling between meter and CU (3meter max).

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
~ Is it allowed to have a CU (boxed in) in a utility room with water, roughly 2m horizontal separation?
Yes.

~ We want to cut a doorway under the current fuse box so that the new CU sits between the top of the door and ceiling. A 30cm gap is theoretically sufficient. Is this allowed/possible?
Yes, quite possible. So is the existing board where you want the new one to be, but the incoming supply and/or cutout & meter are just in the way of the proposed opening for the door?

~ When the meter is moved, who is responsible for reconnecting the meter and fuse box/CU?
The DNO is responsible for relocating all of the supply equipment. It's up to you to provide everything which comes after the meter so that it can just be reconnected into the meter in its new location.

~ The separation between meter and CU will be the length of the existing garage. Would the CU and meter be directly connected or would space be needed for an intermediate fuse board or connection point?
Some suppliers are more flexible than others, but as a general rule once you exceed 3m between meter and your board you will need to provide a separate switchfuse at the meter location.

~ As part of the final works, new circuits will be added. Would it be acceptable to move the meter, keep the existing fuse box and upgrade to CU later? Or would a CU be required immediately, for adding circuits later? I ask because it is not a completely straightforward switchover and it might be more practical to do all circuit additions/changes together.
So long as nothing is drastically wrong with the existing arrangement, it should be entirely possible to have the supply moved, fit your own switchfuse at the new meter location to feed the existing board, then just change out the latter whenever you need to. Having your own isolator at the meter would make that later task easy, since you wouldn't have to get the supplier out again to disconnect and reconnect.

Any other things I might need to consider?
As mentioned already, the price that the DNO might want to charge you is probably a big factor, as supply moves can be very expensive these days. It would be worth asking for a price before going any further, as once you hear the cost it might just make you decide to change the plans so as to work around what's already there.

There is nothing (electrically) to stop you keeping the meter in what will become the utility/cloakroom.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing (electrically) to stop you keeping the meter in what will become the utility/cloakroom.

Yes, that reminds me that my first house had the meter under the stairs so the meter reader had to come in. There must be thousands like that. For some reason I had in mind that it would have to move as a matter of course. It's worth taking another look at the new doorway.

Do you want an outside meter?
If you don't then be aware that AIUI some DNOs will not move a meter to anywhere except outside. i.e. you are not compelled to have yours moved outside if you are happy with where it is, but if you want it moved then they make you have it outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back