Electric Meter Moving/Locations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While renovating my house, Which has electricity meter in front bedroom mounted inside the room but on an outside wall. The Old wire fuse box was about 10 meters away in the porch, fed from the meter in a thickish T+E cable.

Next to the meter is now a swtichfuse with armoured cable feeding a new Metal Hager fusebox (all RCBO's) in the hall cupboard

Now At the time I bought the house I thought about getting the meter moved as it wasnt in an Ideal place by any means. But never went any further due to the high costs people told me it would be.

Question is, if I got national grid or whoever it is to move meter, can they only move it to an outside box, or could they move it to another room in the house? ie the hall cupboard, which is in the center of the house so the incoming mains would need to run under one or two other rooms before it came upto the meter?

Sponsored Links
Generally they will only be moved to an outside location, as installing it inside would involve their cables being installed underneath your property.

Thats exactly what I was wandering if they allow that (as in their cables under the floor boards, not dug down into foundations,

ah well, not to worrie, that means I've not wasted money on the current set up, will just need to get a little cupboard built around it with a soundproofed door, its a pretty loud wee bugger when it spinning, will maybe call them to change it at somepoint due to noise.

No reason why it should not be inside the building as outdoor viewing cabinets are not mandatory except perhaps in new build.

You would however be responsibly for installing suitable duct/pipe from outside the property to the new position.

At the end of the day asking the question of your DNO and getting a quote will not cost anything so why not just do that!

Sponsored Links
You would however be responsibly for installing suitable duct/pipe from outside the property to the new position.
As a matter of interest, does that have to buried where it goes under the property, or could it just be 'lying' in the sub-floor space?

Kind Regards, John

As a matter of interest, does that have to buried where it goes under the property, or could it just be 'lying' in the sub-floor space?

As long as it exits at a minimum of .45m below finished lever and is reasonable safe from mechanical damage, either,

As long as it exits at a minimum of .45m below finished lever and is reasonable safe from mechanical damage, either,
So would that be 0.45m below the top of the floorboards in the case of a suspended floor?

Kind Regards, John

So would that be 0.45m below the top of the floorboards in the case of a suspended floor?

Not necessarily
We suggest that our LV plant is ,45 m or greater below ground level when buried.
On the surface protection by plastic conduit, pipe or cable guards is acceptable, but we tend to use metallic guards in places. But only where accessible.

Something like this would be dealt with on a case by case basis and at the discretion of whoever designed the set up at the DNO

The best you can do is to talk to your DNO. Ask what your options are and get quotes, it will cost you a little of your time but nothing more.
(I would add that an external cabinet does stop you ever having to be home to have the meter read)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back