how to move an Electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please. My electricity meter and fuse box is in a bedroom, not ideal.
Can I have a qualified electrician move meter and fuse box to a cupboard a few feet from where they already are or do I have to get my electricity supplier to move said equipment.
TIA

Sponsored Links
The supplier is responsible for the supply cable and meter, and would be the one to move those. But they won't touch your equipment (the fuse board etc.), so you would then need somebody else to do that, and coordinate between the two. I'm afraid that moves like this are likely to be expensive.

If it's just a question of not liking the look of it all in the bedroom, you'd probably be better off just building a neat cupboard around what's already there to hide it (making sure that it can still all be accessed for any future work).

Hi Paul_C
Thank you very much for your reply. The meter is already boxed in but is still accessible. It's not so much the look that bothers me; but where it is that bothers me. It's in a very small room (box room) and prevents me having a full length wardrobe. One of my neighbours actually paid an electrician to move hers; if I did the same, would it be illegal?

TIA

The meter, fuse head and supply cables do not belong to you and only authorised persons (the distribution company and their agents) can work on them.

Most electricians would not work the service head and meter. Any unauthorised interference with distributors property mat result in prosecution.

Sponsored Links
Hi Sparkiemike,
Thanks very much for your reply. I quess I will have to live with it until such times that I can afford to pay my electricity supplier to move it for me.

Hi Chivers67, the meter is approx 30 years old, sorry don't know how to post picture. Dumb blonde :)

The DNO may be prepared to move the meter at a discounted price ( or zero cost ) to an external location where the meter can be read without the need to enter the building. Use this advantage to them ( or the meter readers they employ ) when you haggle over the cost.

I personally would not be happy with the meter and cut out in a bedroom due to the supply cable running through the house before the main fuse.

In agreement with that. I have used this kind of leverage to further my customers case for meter relocation. The suppliers do tend to soften up a bit when you mention safety!
Good luck!

I personally would not be happy with the meter and cut out in a bedroom due to the supply cable running through the house before the main fuse.
Depends where the bed room is! If its a downstairs bedroom conversion... comon on most student houses where the front living room was made into a fourth bedroom.

Daniel

Thank you everyone for all your replies.

I thought I maybe had a glimmer of hope there from bernardgreen and action in possibly using the safety factor with my supplier : ))

FAO dhutch I live in a small bungalow and the meter is in a small bedroom, (not an extension) It was moved into this bedroom by a previous owner who was a DIY fanatic who actually knew nothing about DIY as we found out to our cost in various other projects he attempted through out the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back