moving electric meter & fuse boxes ~1 meter. Old lead ca

On the plus side, the meter could be changed to a 15cm x 12cm x 4 cm unit, the don might be persuaded to change the cast head, then by spending £700 ( subject to cable and circuits being decent enough to move over) on a condition report and cu update the foot print would be 70cm x 50cm.

Sponsored Links
I will leave the gas meter where it is since it looks difficult to move.
Actually you'll be leaving everything where it is, as you can't move any of it.

So as to ease of moving the gas meter this will be a problem for National Grid, so if you'd prefer the meter somewhere else then get them to give you a quote for moving it.

If I could get the lot moved for a few hundred quid then that's what I'd do.

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

£600 is too much. I still need living room carpet, and a plasterer by the look of it.
No - you need to prioritise getting your electrics sorted out.

Which would you rather live with for a while:

An electrical installation in danger of giving people electric shocks or starting a fire, but nice new flooring and walls, all of which will end up being hacked about when you do turn to the electrics?

or

A safe electrical installation with patchy walls and a cheap rug from Ikea?

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I have somebody coming to have a look shortly. An NISIS or something approved chap who "can basically build a house", i.e. he can help with my other problems of plastering and what not.

Also one of my customers says he has somebody who sorts this sort of thing out for his properties for not a lot of money. So I will see what's possible there.

I have seen some nice radiator covers, and am expecting that I will indeed end up going this route, after having the various fuse boards consolidated into a single breaker-unit whatsit.

cheers! :)

Sponsored Links
Please be aware that if your chap can move the meter and all the electrics 'nice and cheap' he will not be a trained professional.

ONLY the electricity supply company (aka DNO) can move the meter and main incoming lead sheathed cable - as you have been told by several people. And it ain't cheap...

Good luck!

Not sure about "The Law". Did you have one in mind?

Certainly it will breach the conditions for the supply of electricity that the OP will have signed before he consumed a milliamp second of energy.

Not sure about "The Law". Did you have one in mind?
If you damage their equipment, including seals, then the Criminal Damage Act 1971.
Though they could and probably would go for the electricity user under the Utilities Act 2000 Schedule 4 part 6.

Damage to electrical plant etc.

6(1)A person who intentionally or by culpable negligence damages or allows to be damaged— .
(a)any electric line or electrical plant provided by an electricity distributor; or .
(b)any electricity meter provided by an electricity supplier, .
shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
(2)Where an offence has been committed under sub-paragraph (1) by the occupier of any premises (or by the owner of the premises if they are unoccupied when the offence is committed) in relation to any electric line or electrical plant provided by an electricity distributor for making or maintaining a connection to the premises, the distributor may disconnect the premises. .
(3)Where an offence has been committed under sub-paragraph (1) in relation to an electricity meter provided by an electricity supplier which is situated on any premises, by the occupier (or by the owner of the premises if they are unoccupied when the offence is committed), the supplier may disconnect the premises and may remove the meter. .
(4)A meter removed under sub-paragraph (3) shall be kept safely by the supplier until the Authority authorises its destruction or disposal. .
(5)The distributor or supplier shall not be under any obligation to reconnect (and in the case of a supplier to restore the supply to) any premises disconnected under sub-paragraph (2) or (3) until— .
(a)the offender is no longer the occupier or, as the case may be, the owner of the premises; or .
(b)the matter in consequence of which the premises were disconnected has been remedied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back