moving electric meter & fuse boxes ~1 meter. Old lead ca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picture:
meters.jpg

Before I fit my flooring, I think it would be a good idea to move these meters and fuse boxes into the little cupboard to the right. I will leave the gas meter where it is since it looks difficult to move.

Can I expect to get this done cheap? I read on here that the old style lead cable won't be used/extended, which might make it expensive.

Everything comes from under the floorboards, which I will leave open/exposed, and I only want to move them into that cupboard to the right.

Also, can I use my custom as a bartering point for the electricity supplier? i.e. I will commit to them, or rather, I'll commit to somebody else if they offer to move the meter for free? I understand I will have to pay an electrician privately to move the fuse boxes.

thanks,
Carl

Sponsored Links
Expect to pay in the region of £600 for a meter move. Any electrician worth his calling will NOT connect lead cable and will quote for a rewire.

Expect to pay in the region of £600 for a meter move. Any electrician worth his calling will NOT connect lead cable and will quote for a rewire.

Thanks. The lead cable that I mention, is the black tar/tape-wrapped feed from outside. I think I read that it's lead. Am I correct?

Before I fit my flooring, I think it would be a good idea to move these meters and fuse boxes into the little cupboard to the right.
Another bloody little cupboard for the poor sparky to contort his body into to sort out your electrics.
I will leave the gas meter where it is since it looks difficult to move.
Why should you leave the gas man out of this little cupboard of joy.
Probably be cheaper to move the gas than the electrical connections.
With any luck expect to pay several thousand pounds to move the electrical service head and Consumer units et al to that little box.

Sponsored Links
Before I fit my flooring, I think it would be a good idea to move these meters and fuse boxes into the little cupboard to the right.
Another bloody little cupboard for the poor sparky to contort his body into to sort out your electrics.
Why should you leave the gas man out of this little cupboard of joy.
Probably be cheaper to move the gas than the electrical connections.
With any luck expect to pay several thousand pounds to move the electrical service head and Consumer units et al to that little box.

The gas meter is at the end. If it stays, I only need to build a tiny little enclosure for it.

All the electric stuff requires me to build an enclosure the length of the wall.

From the customers (my) point of view, it makes perfect sense to move the stuff into the "cupboard of joy". With the floorboard removed, the sparky should be able to stand up in there quite happily.

I gather you have done and dislike doing this job, but still, I'd rather you didn't wish me ("with any luck") a bill of several thousand pounds for the job.

A bloody sight easier than trying to move all the electrics.

If you're going to do, do it.

Or just build a nice cupboard round the whole lot.

Other than the meter, and its stiff armored cable, surely you just (I'm going to get flamed for this..) drop everything below the floor, see if it reaches (wires), and if it does, raise it back up in the required position? I mean with floorboards removed of course.
Anything that doesn't reach, well, that's another issue. Are there not acceptable ways of lengthening the cable?

Also, can I use my custom as a bartering point for the electricity supplier?

as it is the DNO (Electricity North West) that will do the work your supplier won't be involved. Ring them on 0800 048 1820 to get a quote

If necessary couldn't they leave the armored cable below the floor?

I don't see why it's such a big job.

A bloody sight easier than trying to move all the electrics.

If you're going to do, do it.

Or just build a nice cupboard round the whole lot.

Well, that was the plan up until a few hours ago...
If I could get the lot moved for a few hundred quid then that's what I'd do.
£600 is too much. I still need living room carpet, and a plasterer by the look of it.

Also, can I use my custom as a bartering point for the electricity supplier?

as it is the DNO (Electricity North West) that will do the work your supplier won't be involved. Ring them on 0800 048 1820 to get a quote

Thanks. I will ring them. I still need pricing for the fuse boxes etc. though. I presume the DNO won't do that part. I would need to organise them for the same day/time I suppose.

You're not going to get that done "cheap".

The cost of moving the incoming supply and the meter will be about a grand.
All of those fuse boards need updating and ( as highlighted above) you may need a lot more work done to the existing installation.

The cost of doing any of this can't be judged without a site visit but, and I hope you realise by now, you haven't a hope of doing this for a few hundred pounds.

Get a chippy in to make a nice cupboard.

The DNO will be responsible for removal and re-installation of the meter, cut out and supply cable. You need to then get an electrical contractor to relocate the cables and install a new consumer unit or consumer units, firstly, before you do anything I would recommend you get a periodic inspection / installation condition report on your existing installation to see if the circuits are serviceable, you also need to have main equipotential bonding in place too.

If your laying wooden floor that you don't want to replace for a long time then getting the electrics checked out first would by the first priority, the installation looks to be very dated with numerous add-ons, hopefully all professional work but if bodgeit & scaroer have been in things could be bad news.

I gather you have done and dislike doing this job, but still, I'd rather you didn't wish me ("with any luck") a bill of several thousand pounds for the job.
The purpose of the several thousand pounds bill has hopefully focussed your mind on doing this work in a much simpler way.
Having to squeeze into a little cupboard to install a new electrical installation is a time consuming process and will add more costs to the installation.
Your installation is outdated and needs to be tested and at the very least I would suggest you replace your multiply switches and cu with an upto date system comprising RCD's and MCB's.
Your few hundred pounds to move the service head and meter is laughably low and the £600 suggested is also well below ball park figures - which from my experience can range from £800 to £3500 depending on cable length and route.
Your best and cheapest option is to move the gas meter into the cupboard. Leave the service head in its current place and subject to an inspection replace it with a modern consumer unit.
Then, as Chris5 has highlighted cover it with a panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back