Moving gas, electic meter and CU. How?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im at the very preliminary stage of wanting to knock through a wall and extend my kitchen. Im trying to gather as much info as possible so i can make a decsion on whether its worth while.

I have a wall that houses (recessed into), the electric and gas meters. I want these and the connecting pipe work and cables to be removed to outside the house (front). This will enable to widen the room behind it as all the connecting cable and pipes are boxed in.

However i will also want a complete rewire of the house and i understand that an electician is needed to disconnect any wiring to the meters and extending and reconnecting the supply to the new position.

Im a bit confused as the Consumer unit is situated in the same cupboard in the wall as the meters. How would i go about doing this and who would i get in first.

Would it be best to reposition the gas and electric meters to the outside wall, then leave the electrian to do the rewire and move the CU.

Or Move all that is in cupboard, let the builder sort the room out first then complete the rewire.

Im also thinking about a porch to the front. So it seems better to get the porch done first and the porch could house the new CU and meters to go on porch wall, but then i would builders, and a new kichen being trampled through a nice new porch.

Where would i begin?? Any advice please

Sponsored Links
Get the CU moved first. The electrician will install longer tails to the meter temporarily. The CU needn't be right next to the meter though, but it has cost advantages.

It could be argued that the CU should never have been put in the meter cupboard - the meter cupboard is normally just for the DNO equipment.

The DNO will move the meter and they will charge you what they like. There is no structure to their charging. :rolleyes:

Gas - i dont know. Ask on the plumbing forum.

Looking at the wrong end of £500 for a gas meter move. Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back