Moving Meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just rewired and had a guy from power systems come to look at moving my meter. My meter is in the hall near the ceiling, my new consumer unit is about a couple of feet to the left and down a bit in a cupboard. My intension was to move the meter into the cupboard to sit above my new consumer unit but they are quoting me £300 to move it. I am now tempted to box in the meter but need to know if I can still attach it to the new CU in the cupboard. I want to make sure it'sall done properly and will pay the £300 if need be. My supply company have said they can fit a switch to isolate free of charge.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the meter needs to be moved to comply with the regulations?

Get the company to move the meter - its their responibility. If they wont, threaten to move it yourself. If they are still uncooperative, move it yourself.

Sponsored Links
I did ask them to move it, they are happy to do it but want £300. I don't really want to pay them £300 so was wondering if I can box it in and connect it to the consumer unit in the cupboard. Any idea?

Get them to fit the FOC switch so that you can safely connect to the CU, and then box everything into a cupboard.

Thanks, that's what I plan to do. I was just worried that it might not comply with the regulations if the consumer unit and meter were too far apart or were on other sides of a wall.

Fair enough.

I ended up doing a bit of meter work myself, because the company messed me around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back