moving consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i looking the resite and upgrade my consumer unit at present its in a very small cupboard space, and i want to move it to the cupboard under the stairs which is a distance of 3mtrs. Does the mains and meter have to be moved or can this be done by fitting longer tails?

Sponsored Links
I think it can be done without moving the meter (no doubt somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) but it's an awful lot of work. Are you doing it because the new CU won't fit the small cupboard? Have you thought of using a Henley block and two smaller CUs instead? :idea: :idea: :idea:

You can fit longer tails. Different DNOs have different requirements, so check with yours if at the new length you'll need a switchfuse, or mechanical protection etc.

Will the outoing circuit cables need to be lengthened?

Will you need a Building Warrant?

thanks for replys, :D
first of all the space would be to tight to fit additional CUs thanx

B-A-Sheds:what size off switchfuse would be required? and yes the out going cables would have to be lenghtened As for the building warrant i dont know how would i check that out :?:

Sponsored Links
1) lentgh off tails are 3mtrs size is 25mm2

2) existing service fuse rating 100a

3) lenghten cable what would you suggest is the best practice for that?

1) OK - keep them out of thermal insulation.

2) Hopefully someone can tell you how to achieve discrimination with that - maybe a 100A breaker?

3) Crimps in enclosures, or a row of JBs on the wall. Another neat method would be to leave the old CU there, get a whole load of blanking plates, remove all the MCBs etc and put through-terminals on the DIN rail. Connect the existing conductors to them (they are narrower than MCBs so you'll be able to keep the ends of any rings separate) and take cables from there to the new CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back