Moving the consumber unit, but leaving the meter as is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I'm planning to get an electrician to move my consumer unit from my kitchen (where its sitting next to my electricity meter) to under the stairs as part of rewiring my house. The cable distance would be about 15 meters.

Is this doable? What kind of cables would he need? I'm trying to figure out if this is going to be about the same as getting the electricity company to move the meter point to under the stairs as well.

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The electric company will charge mega money to move the meter, and its a major task to simply organise it. They have to work live so its expensive.

However, to separate the meter and CU is easier.

You would need a 100A / 80A switchfuse/MCB at the meter area, which protects a length of 25mm² 3 core SWA, running to the CU.

Then the CU is installed as normal in the new position. :p

I'm sure he'll be delighted, or at least mildly amused, to learn that you went to the trouble to find out how to tell him something he already knew perfectly well. :D

Sponsored Links
I don't think that's quite what he meant!

I read it as an enquiry to see if something was possible, having had that confirmed, the O/P is now going to engage an electrician to do the work?

Sorry BAS...

I could upload some pictures of the downlighters in my kitchen - that might help?

280b11a1b0af3b76.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back