moving meter and consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

During to some hause building work I have to move the all electrics (consumer unit, meter and main cable) + replace consumer unit on bigger with RCD's

Can I employ an electrician to move all those or must be my electric supplier ?

regards
Martin

Sponsored Links
You will need both. It is a real pain I have had it in the past where all prepared as far as I could go but waiting on the DNO to move meter. All arranged for set date then DNO arrived early so I had to drop everything to reinstate power which resulted in leaving another job half done.

Hmm... I'm a bit "green" with the subject

What DNO mean ?
Any idea how much DNO will charge ?

Sponsored Links
Hmm... I'm a bit "green" with the subject

What DNO mean ?
The DNO is the distribution network operator. They are responsible for the distribution network that takes power from the national grid and delivers it to end customers.

Since your electrician and the DNO will need to coordinate their operations I would advise speaking to your electrician in the first instance and letting him deal with the DNO.

Any idea how much DNO will charge ?
It will vary depending on what work exactly they have to do but probablly over £1000. You may well be able to save money by arranging to dig the trench and install the duct yourself leaving them just to pull the cable in.

The meter is not the DNO's responsability. It is owned and maintained by a seperate company. You will need to contact your energy provider to make an appointment for the meter move.

Take note, if the DNO dont turn up or turn up late there is not a lot you can do, if your energy provider fails an appointment, you can claim compensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back