Moving consumer unit

I didn't read the whole reply, but on your last point, terminate the swa where it stops needing to be SWA, otherwise you're making life harder and more expensive.

Sponsored Links
You seem to be completely missing my point. You said you wanted to get advice now, so you don't get stung later down the line. We know nothing about your supply, current wiring, house construction, layout or distances. Without seeing your house, it is impossible to advise on the best way for you to proceed.

The site is not pointless and my post was not following a standard 'get an electrician' route. If you plan to get an electrician to do the job, the time to engage him/her is now, at the design stage. If you plan to do it yourself, you should read up on BS7671 and electrical testing. However, I would strongly recommend the first option.

Please don't take offence to my post and feel free to ignore it.

I don't ignore anyones post otherwise it would be pointless asking the question. All I know is I want to get a consumer unit in a different location to that I had originally planned on the opposite side of house. It wants moving before extension work as that may be some time off 6-9 mths and the original house needs rewiring while waiting. So it may be a temporary cable to supply the CU, having to be slightly moved/altered during extension work. Obviously if i buy enough cable SWA now ( now that I know i need SWA) it will make life much easier 9 mths from now. It may even be the case in 9 mths to get the meter, supply all moved closer to the new CU negating the need for the SWA i buy now. It is just a means to allow some work to proceed in the interim period, who knows i may get a better quote in 9 mths as SSE have no clear pricing structure from experience of moving power several times in the past. A bit like Thames Water charge what that want on the day of visit. If SWA ( will try to find out) can be run over ground i.e not buried on a temporary basis even better saves me digging as eventually it would be buried under the extension ( assuming it can within regs). Eventually to have meter where I want it, AMM 3 all RCBO happy days. Distance to new location from main supply as house currently exists is about 20m, if swa can go under floor in new extension, that distance would not change. If it had to go around new extension add another 40m or so

Last edited:
Given your posts I would STRONGLY recommend you get an elctrician to look at this job. Even if only to get advice on the options available.
If there is an alternate route, you may not need SWA.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Have you researched the existing service route in to your property ? It may pass the location you want CU to be moved to.

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back