Moving consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Am thinking to move consumer unit to a new location. SSE could move the supply and electric supplier the meter, but if i decide to keep meter and incoming where it is and use a sub main run on 25mm² Split Concentric Cable. What would be the maximum distance this could be run from incoming to consumer unit? Would run it via a 80A switch unit at the meter.

Sponsored Links
... if i decide to keep meter and incoming where it is and use a sub main run on 25mm² Split Concentric Cable. What would be the maximum distance this could be run from incoming to consumer unit?
Provided it was protected by an appropriate switch-fuse at the meter end, and subject to suitable routing, it could be as long as you wanted. Without a fuse, about 3 metres is usually regarded as the maximum distance.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, SO 80A switch fuse on 25mm cable would be fine then
Indeed. In fact, depending on how/where it was installed, 16mm² might be adequate. Again depending on the routing, SWA might be a preferable to split con.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Is there anything I can read up on regulations regarding running split con in the ground ( from meter around house) ?

Only that its not suitable for burial if you are looking to achieve BS7671 compliance.... The live conductor is not entirly surrounded by earthed metal (half of its connected to neutral)

SWA is what you need. 25mm² SWA, while not an unweildly size... isn't really a DIY job though!

Are you sure there is not a better route, buried around the perimeter from service location to DB location doesnt sound like a great route to me

Is there anything I can read up on regulations regarding running split con in the ground ( from meter around house) ?[/]

I see you posted recently asking for advice on a new board and now ask how to move the CU. I would suggest you get an electrician involved, as they will be better placed to advise than an internet forum. Installing a sub-main is a big job (new board, location and wiring) and is notifiable to your LABC.

Indeed, I have a new CU, the original location was to be by meter, but with plans for extending going in we have decided the CU will be better placed in a small back room that will contain a boiler, alarm wiring etc, everything in one place. Hence trying to determine my best options for putting the CU in a location we would prefer. No harm in changing your mind at this stage. New location will be central to house where now it is at one end. Would rather advise now than in 12 mths when it is too late. Is this not what a forum is for?

Are you having a complete rewire?

If not, have you thought about all the cabling which will need rerouting?

Would rather advise now than in 12 mths when it is too late. Is this not what a forum is for?
That's fair enough, but I think that some confusion/uncertainty has resulted from the fact that you have been talking about using split con cable - which I don't think is something that any electrician would contemplate using for this purpose (and couldn't contemplate if it were going to be buried).

Kind Regards, John

Which is a shame as it's awesome cable, far easier to handle and install than armoured cable!

Which is a shame as it's awesome cable, far easier to handle and install than armoured cable!
Although my experience of using split con is very limited, I agree, above ground (IMO, anything is easier to handle/install than SWA!) - but, as been said, it unfortunately is not suitable for burying. I think that DNOs bury straight con - but that is obviously a rather different matter.

Kind Regards, John

The forum is intended to provide advice and mine was based on the 2 posts made by the OP.

The first was

Looking at a new 16 way consumer unit for my house. I was just wondering are RCBO a newer alternative to using mcb in unit? If they act as an mcb and rcd does that mean if all circuits are on an RCBO that rcd is not needed? Or are they really only for older units that have non RCD protected circuits
Was looking at a MK K7666SMET Amendment 3 Metal Consumer Unit. Are these ok?

whyme!, 22 Sep 2016 Report Bookmark

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/rcbo.467138/#ixzz4NsCn72Qn

Followed by the initial post in this thread.

I would say whyme needs an electrician as installing a new CU as a sub-main requires knowledge which cannot be gained by asking questions on ANY internet forum.

OK so SWA cable it is. So worth asking
The forum is intended to provide advice and mine was based on the 2 posts made by the OP.

The first was

Looking at a new 16 way consumer unit for my house. I was just wondering are RCBO a newer alternative to using mcb in unit? If they act as an mcb and rcd does that mean if all circuits are on an RCBO that rcd is not needed? Or are they really only for older units that have non RCD protected circuits
Was looking at a MK K7666SMET Amendment 3 Metal Consumer Unit. Are these ok?

whyme!, 22 Sep 2016 Report Bookmark

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/rcbo.467138/#ixzz4NsCn72Qn

Followed by the initial post in this thread.

I would say whyme needs an electrician as installing a new CU as a sub-main requires knowledge which cannot be gained by asking questions on ANY internet forum.

When i need the work done I will ask an Electrician and tell him this is what I want, where I want it and when I want it. If Building control will allow me to do it by paying them a fee then that is also an option. (something to look into)

If anyone, other than an electrician who is registered with a Competent Persons
Scheme, undertakes the electrical work, the Standard Charges will still apply, plus an
additional charge will also be incurred. This reflects the increased costs incurred by the
local authority

Where, the only work being undertaken is notifiable work, and is not being undertaken by
an electrician who is registered with a Competent Persons Scheme, a fixed Standard
Charge will apply. Your electrician should be aware of the definition of non-notifiable
work.

But gaining some knowledge so I know what to get done eventually in my opinion is best asked on a forum. Otherwise what is a forum for, every question asked will be answered by get an electrician making the forum pretty pointless. maybe if you don't agree let others that don't mind giving advise give it. I like learning and understanding what gets done in my house because trust me I have come across some pretty dreadful "professional" work/advise in my time. Armed with some knowledge is always useful if the "professional" knows I know a little about what i'm, asking for. I now understand the benefit of RCBO from this forum, something I may never have thought to use had I not asked the question. Obviously I then go off and read up on them to gain even more knowledge, pros, cons etc. So yes some knowledge can be gained on here. I', not expecting years of study by you guys to be given in a sentence, just advise I.E don't use Split Con in the ground! Amazing knowledge gained, even though the tech spech of cable gives a current rating for it in the air and in the ground....( Where my confusion began). Now happy whoever does it, it will be priced and planned for SWA not Split Con. One thing is for sure i'm not paying SSE to have 2 guys making coffee in a van preparing to fill a hole i dig with their cable. If my questions offend anyone I apologize please just ignore me. Maybe make the electrical forum a closed group cert holders only? The odd thing is though my hager unit does not even have a 32mm access point for any glands, so i'm guessing that SWA will need terminating outside the CU (henley block/4x4 metal joint box)?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back