Move consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting the power company to move my meter and service cables (only about a 100cm along the wall), but am going to need to replace the consumer unit at some point in the near future too..

Is it OK to put some sort of isolator between the meter and the comsumer unit to make it easier to replace at a later date?

If so, what do I need? All I can find is a small two-way consumer unit which seems a bit over the top. Surely I must be able to get just a big 100A switch or something??

Presumably the electrician who eventually moves the consumer unit would rather isolate it than work live or berak the service seals..??

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
yes you can

if you ask the electricity co they might fit one for nothing.

if not, buy one and some 25mm tails and have them ready to connect (supply side) when your meter is changed. A 2-way 100A DP switch is small enclosure is usual.

Provide a new 16mm earth wire as well if your old one is undersized or will not reach.

You will have to fit everything to the wall ready for the fitter to connect. Don't use the company board, they don't like anything on except their own equipment

The tails will probably have plain grey sheathing, so fix rings of brown/blue tape, or coloured cable ties, near the ends as identification. the sheathing must not be strippped back outside enclosres.
e.g.
View media item 820
View media item 819
the holes at the top of the enclosure must be tightly sealed or have cable glands to prevent anything falling in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back