MOVING CONSUMER UNIT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been quoted such a large sum by the power company to move the meter by bringing a new cable in 10 meters down the street (3k+) that I have decided to try another route. Before wasting any more of their or my time, I would be grateful for some advice. I will use their services as required, and a qualified electrician for the rest.

Currently the supply, which is in lead (?) comes in under the wall and the master fuse and meter are fixed to a crumbling wooden board with the consumer unit connected by short tails. I want to move the board about 6 feet which will require the cable to be lengthened. Then I want to position the consumer unit about 20 feet away from the meter. My questions are the following:

Will they touch the old lead supply?

Is there a maximum distance between the meter and the consumer board and what will be required to do it, if indeed it is possible.

Sponsored Links
Will they touch the old lead supply?

Will who touch it?

You electrician is not allowed to, and no one in teir right mind would try to.
Moving a PILC supply cable will most likely cause the paper insulation to fail rather spectacularly.

The DNO would cut this cable off underground in the street, and joint a new piece of cable onto it to your new supply position.

Is there a maximum distance between the meter and the consumer board and what will be required to do it, if indeed it is possible.

You are allowed a maximum of 3 meters of tails from the meter without additional protection.

If you want the CU further than 3 meters from the meter, you need to supply a switch fuse from the meter within 3 meters, and use this to supply a submains to your CU.

There is no limit on the length of this cable, but the length of the run will influence the required cable size.

Thank you for the rapid and very useful reply. I was hoping the power company would move it for a modest sum! Looks like I may yet have to pay a fortune for a hole in the road, and an excavation through the 2 foot thick house wall. Regards

You can usually do the digging and laying of the duct etc yourself, which will save you some £££s

Sponsored Links
EDF actually require the client to run a duct from the street (boundary) to the meter position, and charge a couple of grand to push the cable in.

The duct required for a domestic house can be anything from 32mm poly to 4" cast iron, seems to depend on how the engineer feels on the day he surveys it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back