Moving the meter & CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0066.JPG
This is our meter and CU in the kitchen. It's going to be in the way when we come to renovate the area (it would end up behind units and inaccessible). Looking to move the meter onto the outside wall in a recessed box. Then move CU further up the wall. I can see the main cable comes in through the concrete floor. Would it be possible for the power guys to flip that cable through the wall at 90deg to connect up to the new meter outside? Or are they going to insist on us finding cable in the pathway to make a new connection?
Since this meter is probably over 60 years old and we'd like to change to a smart meter, I think I may ask the power guys to make a discount!

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible for the power guys to flip that cable through the wall at 90deg

Since this meter is probably over 60 years old

If the meter is 60 years old ( unlikely ) then the supply cable will be that old and hence with age far too un-flexible to be safely bent or even moved.

I think I may ask the power guys to make a discount!

It is advantageous for them to have the meter outside so it can be read so asking for a discount for that reason might get a result.

Once the surveyor has been and discussed the method they will use to move the meter then you may be able to reduce the cost to you ( money ) by digging the necessary trench for them.

However that is hard work and with a live mains cable in the area ( and maybe other services ) not a simple digging exercise.

As an aside, is that 2x swa cables pushed into those plastic surface boxs as cannot see any sign of gland/shrouds, if so they need taking out and reterminating correctly to ensure safe usage

Sponsored Links
@yorkspark If you refer to two black cables, they are for outside power to the summerhouse. Everything will be brought up to code when the kitchen is done.
@bernardgreen the house is 60's built, so I don't know how old that meter is....it looks pretty original! But I agree that incoming cable looks kinda decrepit. Ah well, guess I may have to bite the money bullet after all...
I also found on WP site that they don't do reconnections from an internal cable, all work is done outside.

Or are they going to insist on us finding cable in the pathway to make a new connection?
They will, since there are no procedures which involve moving old cables like that. The risk of damage is far to high. It's cut and joint in a new piece, all done live.

Since this meter is probably over 60 years old and we'd like to change to a smart meter, I think I may ask the power guys to make a discount!
The meter is 45 years old, and has probably been refurbished since it was originally manufactured. If you want a new one then contact whoever you buy your electricity from - which is not the same company as you contact for having it moved outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back