moving meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am getting my house referbished with a new extension. builders are due in 3 weeks.

the house is being rewired with a new board.

i have been prepairing the house, removing plaster etc.

i have found that the wall that the electic meter is on is made from old block work which is crumbly. 1920's

can the meter be moved to a newly built wall about 2 feet away by an electrician or does the elec board have to come around.

the main cable into the house would not need to be extended at all as the wall is nearer the front.

would this cost much.

Sponsored Links
as far as i'm aware, you've gotta contact the supplier, there would be a charge though.

DNO has to do it. your sparky can only (llegally) touch whats after the meter. there is usually a charge, but best ask first. if the service head is faulty and dangerous they should replace FOC, and possibly move it hen they are there

it will probablly be quite pricey especially if the cable is lead and paper. It can only be done by the leccy supplier and if the cutout is also on that wall (likely) its almost certainly going to be a live working job.

Sponsored Links
Just some info on this one,

My in-laws had to have there meter moved on the board when they had a CU change in November last year.

Their DNO is/what was MEB which is now EON networks. The in-laws contacted NPower who arranged it (speak to service alterations dept, they seemed fairly clued up!) and "metering services" are the authorised sub-contractor who will sort out the move.

What happened in there situation was the PME was very old and the header fuse was a porcelain one which cracked when the DNO pulled it out to isolate the meter. He then organised for the EON to come out (was within 1hr) and they fitted a new PME and moved the meter and fitted an isolater and they never paid a penny for it.

EONs rules are that they will replace a PME, fit isolator and move a meter provided its within 9" of its original location for free.

From speaking to the guys that came out, if there is lead/paper cabling they will re-feed the supply to whereever you want it in a house for free. If they decide it needs replacing which they say "if they ever come across it they will replace it anyway".

Just some food for thought.....

I can remember back when the LEB etc were first privatised. To to cut down on their engineers time, for simple things like tail up-grades after a rewire etc, we were offered crimps & seals which had an indetifying number on, giving a trail back to us. There were also some forms to send in each time a seal was used. As at the time we did undertake domestic work we declined the offer.

Did anyone else get this offer and can you still apply form crimps & seals?

This is not a hijack, but may help

Even though this is a bit uncouth. The engineers that do the work are bribable with things like tea/coffee and bacon sandwiches.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back