Meter move to outside of premises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am planning to have both gas and electric meters moved c.2.5mtrs from inside my garage to the outside wall. Clearly there will be some excavation work needed. We have recently had a new pic drive laid so would ideally like the supply extending from its current position, under the garage floor and through the wall. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

Also, for the gas meter move I have established that I can do the excavation work and arrange my own Corgi man to come and do the move and reconnect for £300. Is there some similar arrangement with electric meter moves?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd be surprised if you can get your own gas person (it would be Gas Safe now not Corgi) to move the meter, as surely to do so would require isolating the supply (unless you're allowed to leave the original isolator where it is or something mad) - however, I'm not an expert in this area...

For the electricity meter, you would probably also need to have the service head moved - the *only* people who can do this are the DNO, who will probably charge you £1000s to do it. If the new location for the meter will be close enough to the head then your electricity supplier may be able to move the meter for you, but they will likely still charge you a fairly hefty amount.

I was referring to this charging schedule from Natgrid:

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdon...03C-B70D-6ABFC417AEB9/43333/DomAltPrices1.pdf

However, I have just stumbled across this guidance regarding carrying out the works:

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdon...ceonCustomerArrangedWorksforAlterationv12.pdf

So it seems I've found the answer to my question! And no, I cannot route the pipe under the garage floor (seems a bit unfair given that the pipes are already under the garage floor and well within 12'' of each other).

If anyone has any idea's on how I can avoid digging up the £3k drive I put in last year then they would be greatly appreciated :cry:

planahead2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yep! That's not all. I had a boiler fitted in the garage as well 2-3 years ago that I now want to move to the loft. :oops: But then again there was only 2 of us then, now 4 (me, wife, 15 month old, 8 week old)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back