Electric Meter Move 1m to the side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if it is ok to move my electric meter board without touching any electrical connections, or does it need to be done by the provider (Electricity North West).

Currently my meter is in the garage fixed about 1.5m up on the wall. I'm having the garage converted but unfortunately the meter sits exactly where I need to knock through and put in a door. After contacting the Electric Co they have quoted £900 to move the meter 1m along the wall, that's with me doing the excavation! They are also insisting on the driveway being dug up and laying a new point of entry.

Ideally, I would like to keep the exisiting supply entry point and move the whole board along the wall and down by as much slack as I have in the cable. The floor is to be built up so the cable would lie under the floor boards. Is there any issue with this?

Alternatively, can't they just dig up the garage floor, take off the exisitng conduit and fit a new 'hockey stick' on the existing supply?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Er no you can't do it yourself as it is not your property and if anything goes wrong the risks are high.
Depending on the type of cable what you suggest could cause problems in the future by unseen damage

As for removing the conduit, any work would be done with the cable live and there is no safe way to do this.

And if it's an old paper and lead cable, they have a habit of going bang when you try and move them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies all. I will take your advice onboard and pay up the £900 :cry:

Do you know why they insist on jointing the new supply outside the house rather than under the garage floor? I would love to avoid digging up the not so old pic drive!

As with many things our Codes of Practice do not allow it, plus the joints are quite large.

Do you know why they insist on jointing the new supply outside the house rather than under the garage floor? I would love to avoid digging up the not so old pic drive!

In the future there is more likely to bwe a problem with the joint than the cable, they don't want to demolish part of your house to get to the joint if they need to at some time in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back