Moved into new house with drained down system - Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

2 weeks ago I moved into my new house. It had been sat empty for a month and all plumbed in items had a notice stating 'Do not use, water drained down, consult a plumber before use'. I decided to sort this myself (maybe stupidly) and read up on recharging the water system. I followed the steps and everything was ok with the taps, loos etc, but unfortunately, my boiler would not work properly.

After trying allsorts, I started to bleed the radiators and each was about 95% full of air! I also opened the bleed nipples next to the boiler tank which were also full of air. I could hear things starting to flow and suddenly the boiler kicked in :D Since this time, we have had heating and hot water and the boiler hasn't missed a beat.

However, I get the feeling something just isnt right. I can hear (usually on startup) the occasional air bubble in 2 of my rads so I bleed them every couple of days and always get plenty air out. The water is also black at the start then runs clear. I can also hear water feeding into the boiler every so often (like the pipe is empty then water is poured through).

When I recharged the system, I didnt touch any of the valves near my tank, apart from turning a pressure relief valve off. There is also (I think) a cold water feed into the system under the sink which has also been left open.

So my questions really are:

- With so much air in the system at the start, could it take time for it all to make its way through?

- Is there something else I need to do with the system that I may have missed during recharging (eg turn off some valves etc)?

House is 5 years old (barratts), my boiler is a Potterton Suprima 40l and I have a tank upstairs. Within the pipework are actuators and a green pump on setting 2.

As if you haven't guessed already I am a complete novice!!! Thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back