Moving Internal Water Meter outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm due to start an extension but cannot locate my external water stopcock in the street

All the other houses in the street have stopcocks outside (some have meters), all I have is is tarmac in the location where the stopcock should be,

I have phoned Thames Water, they said it is not their responsibility to find the stopcock under the tarmac and in the event of an emergency they would cut the supply to the road to fix a leak.

Fine, but I would also like to have an external water meter installed whilst the extension is built and plastic pipe going into the house.

I currently have a Sensus water meter inside, I spoke to a helpful lady today at Thames Water who said this must have been installed inside because they could not locate the outside stopcock as it is cheaper for them to install the meters outside. (this all happened before I moved in)

I enquired about them installing an external meter, she checked for me and then told me they will not do it, they will only install a meter once but I can get my plumber to move my current meter out to the street as long as the work is checked by Thames Water afterwards

Does this sound correct, I've been looking on the Internet but havent heard of this before... Thames Water allowing me to dig up the pavement outside my house, locate the stopcock and move my internal meter into the street?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
I don`t know about TW as I`m in Southern Water area...I do know that I recieved a load of BS from SW re; a refund for my surface water charges... 1 phone call later and they caved in ... shame, I was after a fight :LOL: Maybe OFWAT or similar to gauge your true legal position . :idea:

Is this an old terraced house? if so you may still be on the old communal suppply that used to run along the back of the houses.

Does this sound correct, I've been looking on the Internet but havent heard of this before... Thames Water allowing me to dig up the pavement outside my house, locate the stopcock and move my internal meter into the street?

I don't think TW would confirm anything that says you are allowed to dig up the pavement. You aren't allowed to. Get a quote from them to install an external meter to connect to a new supply to your house. It will be anything up to £2500 depending which side of the road the water main is.

Don't believe me? I have seen such a quote. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Other water co's will fit a meter free and it comes with a new stopcock. :)

Don't TW offer to install a free meter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back