Moving Water Meter

Would they take away the old in-line meter and replace it with one in the street stop cock for free?

Far as im aware yes they would, water companies prefer the meter outside so they can read it easily.

Thanks I look that up.

You also didnt answer my question, have you had permission to tamper with the meter?? I would say no as its the property of the water company, only they are allowed to do anything to it, otherwise we could all bypass them and have as much free water as we want! You wouldnt move the gas or electric meter yourself would you?

The meter cannot be tampered with. Anyone can move a water meter, there is no safety problem involved, unlike gas or electricity. If you are redoing a cupboard, there is nothing stopping you moving it to a more convenient location.

Sponsored Links
water companies prefer the meter outside so they can read it easily.
If you have a pulsed water meter (most are nowadays) it could be fitted with a remote reader on an outside wall with the meter fitted indoors.

I didnt say it was dangerous to move a water meter i asked have you been given permission to move or attempt to move it yourself? What happens if you break the meter, do you think your supplier is going to just say "dont worry about it, we'll fit a new one" i dont think so! My point is im pretty sure regardless if its a water/electric/gas meter that the supplier would not want you doing anything to it yourself, if you have removed the meter and are trying to remove it from its current support or whatever how are getting a water supply, have you just bypassed its location? if so your obtaining water illegally. Just phone your supplier and ask them to move the meter saving yourself the hassle.

I wasnt aware you can have water meters that can be read from outside, i still learn something new every day! But it doesnt apply to this situation as the OP isnt happy with where its currently located.

The meter cannot be tampered with. Anyone can move a water meter, there is no safety problem involved, unlike gas or electricity. If you are redoing a cupboard, there is nothing stopping you moving it to a more convenient location.

I would very much like to know who told you that?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back