My Missing Stop Cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Please don't think I am being thick, but I have a small problem.
I had a stopcock under my sink and a small iron trapdoor thingy on the pavement outside of my house where I could lower a rod with a square on the end to turn off the main supply to the house.
A few months back a water meter was fitted into the place in the pavement where the main valve was.
Now, when I look down the hole I no longer see a valve that I can turn off, but I see two plastic fittings, a large plastic nut with a what looks like a black seal around the base and a small nut on a little plastic tower with a black plastic handle on it . The plastic handle pops off to reveal a nut underneath, also plastic. The whole caboodle is encased in a plastic housing, sheathing the hole from the stree down to the meter. Incidentally, I can not even see a meter, or what I would expect to be a meter.
How do I turn off the water in the street?
I need to replace a dripping stop cock and need to kill this supply.

Sponsored Links
Speak to your water company who will advise you how you can now turn off supply after fitting of a meter :)

use the plastic key that fits onto the small hex and just turn

Sponsored Links
The large plastic nut covers the ole where they'll put the meter if they can be *rsed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back