Water Meter whizzing round

I have replaced the pipe today from the stoptap in the house to the splice point half way down the drive where they cut it. There is no damage to the pipe I took out. So if the leak is in the other bit...well I am entitled to a free repair from the water company.
Sonds logical to me.

Sponsored Links
hardly in the spirit of the forum?

I have replaced the pipe today from the stoptap in the house to the splice point half way down the drive where they cut it. There is no damage to the pipe I took out. So if the leak is in the other bit...well I am entitled to a free repair from the water company.

Thats is true but the amount of water being wasted or not, would have paid for the guy.

So you dug it up and replaced a section of pipe, did you cap the existing bit and test it. and if not why not.

When I dug the pipe up, there were 2 philmac couplers back to back with a bit of blue pipe in between them. I rang the contractors to ask what they'd found and they said the joint was where they'd cut the alkathene, capped & tested it, and the leak was inbetween that joint and my house stoptap. So that is what I replaced, taking out both philmac fittings and replacing them with just the one. So now there's a nice piece of 25mm MDPE from my new stopcock, through the wall and into the original service pipe where they cut it.

Unfortunately my bill was high and that is how the leak was discovered, so the water had already leaked out. It has been turned off ever since except for filling the kettle and water tank.

Sponsored Links
Don't like the sound of that, leaks don't stop on there own assuming there one in the first place.

Is that before you dug the pipe up and replaced it.

We had a bloke in near Richmond park (surrey) who for years , was paying for his next door neiighbours water as well , as his own , it was going through his meter :) only came to light when he had a problem with his water & was turned off in the road .

Apparently the water board are refunding him , but will only go back 7 years ??

Have I missed something?
There's no leaking joint or pipe been found.
There's no great pit of soggy earth.
The "leak" got better by itself.

You have a bill for £620 for excess water.
It's about a quid a cubic metre iirc.
So if your house is 8 x 8 x 5 high that's near TWO house fulls of water - missing.

Call ofwat?

And the OP can expect an equal bill for waste water company.

waste water company.
Oh, are they suggesting it mysteriously found it's way down a drain?
Of COURSE, that would explain why nothing's soggy, how silly of me ;)

There's certainly been a leak somewhere...though the only evidence has been the whizzing meter with nothing in use, and a 'hiss' from the drive somewhere near the rising main, detected by an inspector with his listening rod thingy and me receiving a bill that went from average £80/6months to £700 in 6 months.

I fixed the stopcock and the meter still whizzed with it off.

The digging team came out and said it was under my property. They capped the service pipe to test it (so they say..I wasn't there, they came when no-one was home) and pushed a note through my door.

At the weekend the meter had stopped turning. I decided to take the water company at their word and changed the pipe from my stopcock back to the convenient splice where they'd spliced it. I found their philmac couplers (2, back to back..imperial to metric back to imperial). The pipe I pulled up is perfect..unless its pinholed...but would a pinhole so close to my wall leak £700 quid's worth without me noticing?

My dilemma, to avoid any further repetition, is whether the large leak that caused my meter to clock around so much, is still there and temporarily sealed, or whether the diggers were right and it was under my house. I aren't an expert in water...electric is my thing...and faults in that sort of thing tend to reoccur at the most annoying moment....powercuts on christmas day etc..unless the cause of a fault is positively identified.

If the leak's still there...I'd like it fixed for free under my 'one free repair' entitlement. I was knackered as it was, digging down to find the pipe with a little spade. If it was in the pipe I changed....well..where has the water gone? Why was the pipe I took out so dry? :oops:

The meter has been stable for the last couple of weeks, Ive taken regular readings and filled in a leakage allowance form.

The guy from Severn Trent rang a few times to say he needed a couple more readings, he seemed quite pleasant.

Had the adjustment notice today. The computer has adjusted my bill to take the leak surge into account and has ended up writing me a cheque for £14.

:eek:

thanks for the update it makes it all worth it
glad you got it sorted :D :D

Well you guys are obviously more clever than me.

Even with the benefit of my Water Regs training course, I still dont understand where the leak was or who fixed it.

Where significant amounts of money are involved ( £250 in my case ) then I consider its important to make sure someone is there when anyone does any work so that whats going on can be assertained and you are not going to be made to pay for something UNLESS its your fault or your responsibility.

Tony

I don't believe there was a leak unless they fixed it when they couldn't find it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back