Fixed toilets - water meter still going round

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To recap - I had a big £200 water meter bill. I've only lived in this property 6 months. Before that my water meter bill was £55 and the 6 months before that £60) There is clearly something wrong with this house. After getting the bill, I investigated and decided both my toilets were trickling down the back of the bowl. Both the toilets have had the cistern fittings replaced and there are no more trickles.

However, I just went outside to check the water meter and it is going round (it stops if I have my stopcock off so I know it's my house). In my last houses if I had no appliance / tap etc on, the meter didn't move.

What could make the meter go round if you have no leak and your toilets / taps aren't dripping?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have tanks in your loft? If so, check they aren't overflowing. Failing that, it could be that you have a leak under your floor, although with that much extra water useage I'd be surprised if it hasn't shown up somewhere...

ive come across this we suggested a leak in a concrete floor customer got water board to look at high meter readings who changed meter and it stopped going round no leaks repaired, i do remember water meter whistling very loudly when water was being turned off

I have a header tank in the loft - was up there yesterday. Didn't notice anything. No water smells anywhere. The water board say it must be my house. I think I'll ring them again.

Where would a header tank in loft overflow to?

Sponsored Links
usually a white pipe sticking out the eaves they will be a plastic overflow pipe above the water level of the water tank follow it u will know if its overflowing as u will see water going down it in the tank

You say the meter stops going round, if you turn the inside stopcock off, so the problem is clearly your side.

Turn it off for an hour and check the water levels in the loo's

If you have local isolation valves on the sanitary ware, you could turn each one off individually, to see if one of them stops the meter.

Should add the damn stupid internal overflows are making the water companies a fortune.

And don't forget the more water you use/waste the higher the sewage bill.

Hi
All fixed - it was the toilets. Just letting you know though that I rang up the water company and asked if they did "leak allowances" - I don't think they advertise the fact! Anyway, I filled in the forms and out of the £200 bill, I was credited £155. Wahoo! I think I was lucky because I'd only just gone on a meter and the problem was at the house before I bought it,
thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back