Water Meter whizzing round

I decided to take the water company at their word and changed the pipe from my stopcock back to the convenient splice where they'd spliced it. I found their philmac couplers (2, back to back..imperial to metric back to imperial). The pipe I pulled up is perfect..unless its pinholed...but would a pinhole so close to my wall leak £700 quid's worth without me noticing?

That sounds like a typical pipe repair splicing in a short length of new pipe to replace the leaking piece.

What all seems very odd to me is that the meter is wizzing round, people come from the Water Company, the meter stopped turning and no one admits there was any leak! Then they refund you the cost of invoiced water.

Usually when pipes have been dug up or dug down to there is significant evidence left on the surface!

This seems a very unusual story with a lot of non sequiturs!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the money Tony, they sent the OP a cheque for £14 quid, I assume he paid the £700 odd.

If there was a leak there would have been mud and water every where when they dug the hole.

perhaps they cut off a branch pipe that used to go to a neighbouring property or garden tap, now disused.

No I didn't pay the big bill. They put it on hold until the issue was resolved. The 14 quid was because the computer had estimated the bill based on what I'd used after the usage graph had normalised, then extrapolated that over the period of the peak. It's not an exact science, so it put me in credit which they paid out.

I wasn't there when they dug the path up, which annoyed me..they came without telling me when I was at work. I would dearly have loved to see what they did exactly.

One of life's little mysteries and I'm sure as hell going to keep an eye on the meter from now on.
:cool:

Sponsored Links
I wasn't there when they dug the path up, which annoyed me..they came without telling me when I was at work. I would dearly have loved to see what they did exactly.

:cool:

I just wonder if they made sure they came when you were out ?

Do you leave a car on the drive to show that you are in and a space there to show that you are out?

Usually you can see the leaking water!

19945.jpg

keep telling you stick to boilers Tony and leave the plumbing to the real experts. :LOL:

Nice pic though, was it one of you jobs.

I had one like that in Ford airfield, when the groundworker couldn't be assed to back fill the trench and weight to pipe down, they went home instead. :LOL:

Lot of guys got the push over that, including the security company that were supposed to patrol the ground all night. 2in of water over the entire site and they never noticed :rolleyes:

Ground workers were under strict orders that the pipe had to be weighted down before they left for the night.

And I had a gusher in Bognor high street, when the body of the stopcock in the pavement came out, when I turned it back on.

Lots of wet shoppers that day. :LOL:

Anyone come across this problem we had recently, a main burst, when the burst was repaired we ended up with dirt and gunge in the water meter, Water company came in and replaced meter which is inside our property, Pipework had to be flushed out for several days until the new meter was fitted.

They told us that although the meter is their property and has a stop cock, we are responsible after the meter and stopcock right up to up to the main "Tee off" Point, in the street.
I thought Water Companies were responsible up to the Meter /Stopcock. Have they changed the Goal Posts ??

Yes they are trying to move the goal posts.

Their problem is with shared mains, they can't fit meters, so they are trying to get them inside the property, and pass the buck when they go wrong.

The boundary is the cut-off point between them and us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back