Main Water Supply / Meter

Good luck with your efforts. Please let us know how you get on and what the outcome is.

The first thing a good builder would do, is to reinstate a new serviceable stop cock inside the house ;)

Sponsored Links
although letters are good follow up with phone calls or i can assure you it will be ignored.

i have dealings with my local water company fairly regularly and although it sounds bad shouting normally works quite well

Don`t write/ring - go to their head office in person . That`s what I was going to do ( other thread- rainwater @ my house) But they caved in on 2nd phone call :cry: Shame . I was armed with council drawings / pictures of property/ maps etc ;) . Why do you think utilities have Jock call centers - so we can`t get to them :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your words Nige F. I appreciate what you are saying. I note that Thames Water have their HQ situated in Reading which a way from me.

Nige F, you say they caved in the on your second call. But were you just speaking to one of the CS bods or were you liasing with a particular dept. Also the person you were speaking with probably had to ok this with someone else in the 'foodchain'.

When I called Thames Water yesterday on the main number. This is what happened.

1. I explained the situation to the person answering the call. She said I need to transfer you and so I was passed to CS.

2. So I explained the story all over again to the CS bod, who said he needed to transfer me to the correct dept which according to him was the 'Metering Team'.

3. I was put through to the 'Metering Team' and yet again explained (should have recorded my 1st reply) and with the help of the advice received from this forum I asked whether my neighbours could request a water meter to be placed on their branch.

He said yes and Thames Water should be able to fit it to their branch but there was no guarantee this can be done.

My reply was well 'what if they do not accept that option or just can't be bothered.

To which he replied

"get an independent plumber yourself and get him to dig down where the water pipes are in the pavement and ask him (my plumber) to place a stopcock on the neighbours branch." :eek:

Hence me asking who you spoke to and more specifically the seniority level of that person.

The last chap I spoke to in the 'Metering team' said he could arrange for me to speak with one of his supervisors?. Is that the way to go in addition to the emails/letters.

I have sent emails to the CEO and CS Director today and will be dispatching hard copies via RM recorded tomorrow.

Thanks for the added info.

Cheers

PS I did try to find your rainwater thread but could not locate it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back