Is this actually a water meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7D6D7CC9-53C4-4B91-96B7-5D91C48DCD85.jpeg
B281C2BA-B552-4267-BFB8-C15F64366D35.jpeg
My parents have just had a massive estimated water bill, which has upset dad, who’s 80 and got severe depression.

A few weeks ago, the stop valve/water meter on the pavement outside their house sprung a leak. They reported it immediately and Thames Water fixed it, but only after it had gushed out water all down the road for a fortnight.

I went to read the meter today so they could submit an actual reading, but was met with this… Is this even a water meter any more?

I can’t see anything obvious, and the white disk with a hex head on it doesn’t want to come off.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Disclaimer: I don't have a water meter and I'm not a plumber! :)
But the images online show the meter connected to where that hex head is!
Blog-8-Meter-Reading.png

So the workmen removed their water meter without their say so?!

They’ve been metered for about 20 years, and it’s saved them loads as they hardly use any water.

No it’s not a meter, and it’s also not his responsibility to pay. Thames Water would be liable for the boundary stopcock as it doesn’t appear to be his side of the property.

Sponsored Links
So the workmen removed their water meter without their say so?!
Possibly, if it was the source of the leak.
Reinstating a water meter may take more administration and time to sort out, than carrying out an emergency repair with what they had on the van?
...and the water meter is their property. But as @CBW says above, it is not his bill to pay! :)

My parents have just had a massive estimated water bill, which has upset dad, who’s 80 and got severe depression.

What have you done so far? You need to write to the water company, or of you phone keep a close record of times and to whom you spoke to, and their role in the company - phone calls and their are easy to deny. Also, I find, the initial call handler will give an answer based on what they THINK is the case, rather than investigating and checking their own processes. In addition, few of us are good at presenting a case verbally. Mistakes will be made, backtracks occur and irrelevant points made. And you are unlikely to remember exactly what was said. For that reason, I would make the call, but only to see of I can get through to an actual decision maker. Emails or lettters are safer, and they cannot be denied or fobbed off. Anyway, you need to follow the water company's complaint process, and then elevate to the Consumer Council for Water, if necessary.:

Making a complaint - Ofwat

Note: you cannot actually raise a complaint via Ofwat, bit this link shows the correct process.

As a side note, and I do not know how Universal this is: I work for a LA. If a tenant writes in ro calls to have a "moan", it is only recorded as a "complaint" IF that word is used! If a complaint is made, certain rules and requirements kick in so make sure you make it clear that you have a complaint, as opposed t a comment.

Good luck, I hope it gets resolved

Possibly, if it was the source of the leak.
Reinstating a water meter may take more administration and time to sort out, than carrying out an emergency repair with what they had on the van?
...and the water meter is their property. But as @CBW says above, it is not his bill to pay! :)

The "administration" is irrelevant, the companies WANT us to have meters. But , yes, it may have been a temporary repair using materials to hand and the follow up work has been fouled.

My parents have just had a massive estimated water bill,
cheers.

Just noticed that it is ESTIMATED. Have you a breakdown of charges, or asked for one? Have you asked on what basis the estimate was made?Can you post the bill here, some one may be able to work out what is going on

As stated its estimated, just ring the water company and ask them to resubmit the bill based on previous usage which should be between 5 -10 m³ a month

Thanks guys, that's brilliant. Nice to have it confirmed that I'm not going bonkers and their water meter has actually vanished. And thank you too for all the helpful suggestions to get things resolved.

Mum and dad were using about 4m3 per month previously, as they've always tried to be pretty frugal with their water and energy usage.

In contrast, my wife and I and 3 kids use about 10m3 per month, and we shower every day and run the washing machine and dishwasher a lot.

For unknown reasons, Thames Water are now estimating my parents' usage has shot up to 15m3 per month.

All I can think is that the crew who repaired the leak on the pavement and removed the old meter submitted the reading from the now-vanished meter on their "paperwork" and that this was artificially high because of the leak.

Thames will always have a customer contact number when you report a problem and you should always ask for it. This number will Date/Time stamp your call and problem. It’s your ongoing reference point and will stay on their system for both you and Thames. Have it read back to you at the end of the call and agree the statement. Needless to say, don’t loose this number, it’s your personal contact to your report.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back