Water Meter whizzing round

Sponsored Links
staffordshire moorlands.

This is becoming a ballache so i think i am going to just get a Philmac kit and splice a piece of 25mm into it. Now where's my spade :unsure:

If you put the listening stick on the damn stopcock you'll hear the leak and have an idea where. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth I think they're talking rubbish. If they exposed the pipe the water would be gushing out if they were close to the leak.

It should be sleeved through the wall.

Sponsored Links
The inspector guy who came yesterday with his listening rod marked the flagstone under the toilet window with yellow chalk and said they would send in the groundwork contractor to dig down. I guess that is the guy who came today who pushed the paper through saying it was not fixable as it was under the house. The flagstone they lifted and soil they dug out is right up against the external house wall, the stop tap being right inside...there is white tubing under the footing (I estimate about a yard's worth) that carries the pipe from outside to inside.
I suppose the contractor will be paid by Severn Trent no matter what the outcome, it's probably easier for the contractors to wash their hands of it in this way and walk away.
The Severn Trent inspector did say that if they couldn't get a new pipe under the house, they would drill straight into the toilet wall at floor level, covering the exposed section of new pipe with 'brown capping to match the brickwork'. The contractor obviously didn't hear that bit!

.. if they couldn't get a new pipe under the house, they would drill straight into the toilet wall at floor level, covering the exposed section of new pipe with 'brown capping to match the brickwork'. ...
Although in my mind thats not really a very good solution, as it has the potential to cause havoc the first decent cold spell we get.

Daniel

There is a special insulated outside connector used - can`t remember the name tho` :oops:... It all rings true what you say about inspectors/contractors - they are more delineated than the Unions used to be , - this is how it works in 21st C. UK now :rolleyes: The right hand doesn`t even know the left hand exists .

I have found a nice piece of 25mm MDPE lying around at work, I am going to get some philmac joints today and then we'll see what I can do. Looks like that 25mm stopcock I bought last week can be useful after all!
Photos to follow when I dig.

staffordshire moorlands.

This is becoming a ballache so i think i am going to just get a Philmac kit and splice a piece of 25mm into it. Now where's my spade :unsure:
Fair point - go for the replacement DIY - then take the leaking piece of black pipe into the water co. and stick it --- on the MD`s desk :mrgreen: . They know full well they replaced the pipes because they were leaking - some black plastic pipes are known for this problem - some clown back in the day decided to leave a yard or so in your house , hoping it wouldn`t leak - the ball is in the water co`s court and they haven`t got a leg to stand on - just take it to OFWAT if necessary

I'm sure it will be in the small print, if it turns out the old black pipe or the joint is the culprit. At the end of the day, any free repair is offered as a good will gesture rather than part of the contract, so no point getting anything more than irritated by their work thusfar.

Really interested to know if you got out of paying the bill for the water used though ? how did you get on ?

Had a rather threatening letter from Severn-Trent today stating that, since the leak is under my property, they would effect a forced entry to fix it if I didn't get it fixed myself within 7 days.

So today I dug up the drive and exposed the pipe right back to the wall duct where it goes into the toilet, and the other end where I see they've cut the pipe to cap it off for pressure testing.

There's no leak...not on that section of pipe. I can physically see all of it. I assume the leaks therefore on the bit under the drive or meter...they say it isn't.

Not sure what to do now again.

Why not get a plumber on the job, it would have been sorted a week ago.

You can cut and cap where it goes into the building. test, then cut and cap as near to the stopcock the other end.

hardly in the spirit of the forum?

I have replaced the pipe today from the stoptap in the house to the splice point half way down the drive where they cut it. There is no damage to the pipe I took out. So if the leak is in the other bit...well I am entitled to a free repair from the water company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back