Water Meter whizzing round

Sponsored Links
Don't know why I b other if you don't read my posts. :LOL:

That bit in your hand has a nut under the handle. undo it and soak the lot with WD40 and the worm screw will free up.

Put it all back together when done, if you have any jointing compound stick a bit on the red washer first.

done all that, it was very, very stiff indeed. It's now free. I found a new washer and have put it together..now it shuts off. :) Just got to keep an eye on the draindown valve as that's weeping now...

But back to the original problem, meter is still whizzing with this valve shut. The service pipe is run inside another pipe under the house so I guess it would be easier to change the whole pipe if they find a leak on tuesday. Which might mean they have to fit a modern stopcock...? :unsure:

But does the meter still whizz round if you turn the outside valve off.

You should be turning it off/on anyway as you're paying for the wasted water still.

Sponsored Links
Remember we have not actually heard from the OP that he has ever been able to turn off the water at the meter.

Until the actual leak and the reason for it we dont know who might have to pay for the water supplied ( but probably NOT for the associated sewerage charge ).

Tony

Remember we have not actually heard from the OP that he has ever been able to turn off the water at the meter.

Tony

How you suggest he managed to take the body out of the internal stopcock Tony. :LOL:

I'm interested to know what the op does for a living?

Not many diyers could get that stopcock apart in that space

Minor update to this, had the water folk around and the chap said that about 15 years ago they came to all these houses on the estate replacing the old alkathene with blue stuff from the pavement to the house....but...they joined the blue to the black just outside the front doors rather than run it into the ducting and stop cock, and he said the joint was probably where it was leaking, confirmed by his using this giant stethascope thing.
So..if it's a faulty joint put in by Severn Trent...is it still my liability?? Why might it fail? :unsure:

Who knows. I would be looking in my paperwork for the house to see whos right it was, but I would equally be ringing the waterboard with the expectation that they would be the ones fixing it....

What did the blokes who said it was leaking say about geting it fixed?
Where do you stand at the moment with the discrepancy in billing!

I don't know--yet. The underground leak repair will be free, (I've just signed a form to say I will accept a plain tarmaced finish repair...but I already have a plain tarmaced drive) but I dont know about the huge water bill the meter's registered since it was last read. At the end of the day, if I'd been installing the pipe for myself, I'd have run the new pipe right into the property..I don't like underground plastic joints of any type, and the pipe runs in a duct under the footings. Why spoil the ship for a couple of feet of pipe? It was the same when BT replaced the phone cable...rather than run it into the property, they spliced the new cable into the old one with a junction box they stuck on the wall outside. :unsure:

Horses for courses.

Came home today and there had been a big hole dug under the downstairs toilet window, and filled-in again. When I went in, there was a note pushed through the door saying 'work not completed - burst under house'.

Which is strange because the stopcock is just the other side where they were digging.

I'm not sure what to do now. I've rang Severn Trent and they don't seem to know either. :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back