Water Meter whizzing round

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my quarterly metered bill, usually £80, this time it's £700 :eek:

I've turned everything off, and checked the meter, which is in the pavement outside. It's whizzing round like a good 'un. :rolleyes:

There are no leaks in the house, my plastic supply pipe enters the house in the downstairs toilet and into the main stop tap, then up into the loft and then down to the various rooms.

Problem is...how can I turn it off? There's no stop cock in the pavement, as it was removed when they fitted my meter 'over the top' of it. Who is liable for all this water which the meter is suggesting is cascading away? My drive & garden are dry...I am guessing it's running under the pavement or similar.

:unsure:

Sponsored Links
If you turn your internal stopcock off, and the meter is still turning, then it's definitely underground.

Had something similar with a customer recently, no water consumption but meter still spinning. Turned out it was her toilet with an internal overflow into the pan. You could barely see it running down the back of the pan.

Her quarterly bill doubled, but judging by how much yours has increased, you are losing lots of water.

Are you sure there's no tap on your meter? Could be a small plastic nut shaped part, next to the dials.

There is usually a key to turn the water off in the meter pit. Ask a neighbour and see if they have one you can borrow.
Call your supplier and get them to test for leaks.
If you turn off your internal stopcock and the meter still turns, it does prove the leak is after the meter and before your stopcock. Who pays if its on the service pipe? don't know.

Another way is to fill a glass full of water with your kitchen tap running submerge the glass of water hopefully in your tap spout get someone to turn the external stopcock off (assuming you can locate it) and see if the water siphon's back through your tap.

Sponsored Links
I've already reported it to Severn Trent. They say they will send someone around in a week or so. In the meantime I will have another look down the hole. I volunteered for this meter as my consumption is so low....

Ok, just got a torch and peered down the meter hole in the pavement. The meter is now turning at about 50rpm and making a whistling noise and a tick-tick-tick. I've found a big plastic tap-affair behind a mat of cobwebs which looks a bit like a giant white gas tap. I've turned it, but it just turns endlessly, Ive tried it at right angles to the flow, in line with the flow etc, but still the meter keeps turning. :confused:

Your meter should look like this. You should have a plastic key that fits into the valve which is to the right of the meter. If not, borrow a neighbour's.

Usually the tap has a hex or square or star shaped male plastic bit often with a small screw inthe middle. I believe if the screw comes loose the shaped bit can just spin, on some.
It should turn half a dozen turns open to shut, clockwise = shut.

If you Volunteered for the meter, you might have the option to pay whatever you USED to pay instead. That was a condition of persuading people to go for a meter at one time..
If so, it could save you a few hundred quid, IF it turns out you're liable for the leak.

Once you've reported the leak which you have, I can't see you being liable from now on, at least.
Good luck - would like to hear the outcome.

The white plastic disc is the tap (bottom of your pic). Grab hold of the ridge and turn it clockwise
simple

how long ago did you go metered??

if you instigate having a meter installed you can usually go back to un-metered but within 6 or 12 months dependant on your supplier

Don't turn nothing off, hey carry on and enjoy the free water.

If your meter is fooked it's their problem, you would get an estimate/average at the most with appeals if needed.

Part of having a meter is to pay for whats registered on it.

You are responsible for leaks on your side of the meter!

You might get a rebate for the sewerage part of the cost as the leaked water had not gone to the drains.

You MIGHT be able to get a discretionary rebate if they want to be nice.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back